japanese long tailed tits

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

japanese long tailed tits

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:35 am

Now I know this is not exactly a new topic, but I have to find out more about these adorable birds. Up till yesterday I had never heared of the japanese long tailed tit, or any of the tit family. Can one keep them as pets? Are there people who actually breed them and are they at all available as pets here in Canada or in the USA? Come on all bird experts out there... I just gotta know! Please share some info. And anybody like me, who has never seen them before, do look them up, they are way beyond CUTE.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lonchura_boi
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: japanese long tailed tits

Post by lonchura_boi » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:00 am

tits are not finches, they are softbills that during the winter months switch to eating seeds. i think the north american counterparts are chickadees. there is only one species that is regularly kept in captivity here and thats the bearded tit, also known as the bearded reedling. i have seen crested tit and great tit advertised for sale on occasions but only once have i seen a blue tit for sale at a bird fare. they are nervous and jumpy birds in confined spaces so do not do well in cages. they are very lively, and also quite intelligent birds, again both reasons they dont do well in and there for have never been popular in cages.
you never call me when your sobar

chirpy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by chirpy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:02 am

Hahaha I laughed that you posted this. Looks like their charm got you!

Could you imagine what it'd be like to own these little guys???
Like its be a dream. I would totally have my doors open for insects they might need! Ill roll around on them if it need it be LOL!!!

Those eyes... Those beady beady eyes! Fluffy long feathers??they don't even look like feathers they look like fine hair/fur!!
Mommy to:
2 Soc's: Bebop (Roseanne cause she's a big girl!) & Rocksteady
1 Black and white cat: Poker (aka Pokes, Pokey)
1 Ball Python: Riff (aka Hawk-eye)
1 Lutino Cockatiel: Stewie (RIP! I love you <3)
1 Avid rib eating sports fanatic.
1 Accident prone 2 year old daughter.

1st clutch: 07/04/2013 - 4/6 fertile 1/4 DIS.

chirpy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by chirpy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:03 am

lonchura_boi thanks for the info! I guess they are better if they are in an aviary at least???
Mommy to:
2 Soc's: Bebop (Roseanne cause she's a big girl!) & Rocksteady
1 Black and white cat: Poker (aka Pokes, Pokey)
1 Ball Python: Riff (aka Hawk-eye)
1 Lutino Cockatiel: Stewie (RIP! I love you <3)
1 Avid rib eating sports fanatic.
1 Accident prone 2 year old daughter.

1st clutch: 07/04/2013 - 4/6 fertile 1/4 DIS.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:58 pm

Thanks Manchaster. Appreciate the information. I guess we wont be in agreat hurry to hunt down some of them, if they wouldnt be happy. You have to admit though, they are ever so adorable.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:13 pm

Hey Chirpy. You had to do this to me, eh? :-) . They are as one person said, like marshmallows with wings. Sweet, round and fluffy with those cute baby faces... BUT! News flash, went to our humane society today and well, Max and Micky came home with me. Two new zebbie boys. :-). Max is a light cfw and Micky ois white with very light markings. They and their army of siblings come from a hoarding situation where I guess the owner couldnt figure out what happens when you put male and female zebras together.. Dont know much about these two little fellas yet, not even how old they are. So far however they are very quiet in their quarantin cage, which has me a little worried. I hope they will be ok. Wish me luck.
~Elana~