Tanagers (?)

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Tanagers (?)

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:40 pm

Looking on kijiji, came across someone selling A 'Blue female Tanager'. It got me to wonder if anyone on the forum has ever had any ? And who knows anything about them. Are they finches?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Tanagers (?)

Post by finchmix22 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:45 pm

Yes, Su Yin raises Tanagers. She can tell you about them. She comes on this forum and the facebook finchaholic page.
DEBORAH

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:51 pm

Su Yin, where are you? Told you are an exert on Tanagers. Just wanted some information about Blue tanagers, or any Tanagers for that matter of fact. Have never seen any or heared about them before an ad on kijiji the other day.

Tanks
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:53 pm

Tanagers are softbills. Basically, finches are primarily seed-eating birds, while softbills eat mostly fruit and nectar. Both finches and softbills eat insects. Tanagers mostly come from South America. They aren't as easy to keep as finches. And most softbills, because of their diet, are fairly messy birds (liquidy poop). And that's about all I know! :lol:

Su is a member here, but doesn't post often. She does have a website, www.happybirdplace.weebly.com/.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:29 pm

Sally
Thanks Sally. That's enough information for now. $600.00 for liquid poop everywhere, I think I'll pass on that pretty blue girl and stick to my solid pooping finches. LOL. She is pretty though sigh~~~
~Elana~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Some of the tanagers are absolutely gorgeous. I'd love to have some of the softbills, but I think I would want to have a large aviary with a concrete floor that I could blast with a pressure washer! Because of the fruit, nectar, and those colored fruit-flavored pellets that a lot of them eat, they can turn the bottom of a cage into a multi-colored mess pretty quickly!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:32 pm

Sally
Poop Rainbows everywhere....Yikes!!! :-T
~Elana~

kyubi
Mature
Mature

Post by kyubi » Thu May 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Can u mix em with finches ?
1 pair of Redcheek Cordon Bleu
1 pair of Lavander waxbill
1 pair of Star
1 pair of Redbill Firefinch
1 pair of Owlfinch
1 pair of Gouldians
1 pair of Forbes Parrotfinch
1 pair of Redface Parrotfinch
1 pair of Seagreen Parrotfinch
1 pair of Pied Parrotfinch
4 Boxers ( dog)

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Sat May 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Yes you can mix tanagers and other soft bills with finches. Usually they are very active, high-energy birds though so be sure to give them a large flight or aviary.

As stated above, due to their soft diet (nectar and fruit) their droppings are much looser than a bird's who's main diet is seed.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

Stinch
Mature
Mature

Post by Stinch » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:19 am

I wouldn't recommend keeping tanagers or grosbeaks with finches, since they are highly territorial or large and active birds. The pellets aren't expensive if you know where to buy them :wink: I am not sure about the price of (tanager) pellets in your area, but at the super-market or pet store/markets it ranges (Where I live) from 2.50-100. It depends on the species needs, where you buy it, amount and some other factors. I really want to buy this Ultra-Marine Grosbeak my neighbor is selling for 130 with cage and everything, it sounds like a bargain (But it is a juvenile... BUT, he is already growing his adult male feathers. Google these beautiful birds to get to see those super glossy blue feathers). Tanagers and Grosbeaks will eat just about anything and if you raised them (Or interacted with them) from a young age they might be tame, I just wouldn't recommend giving them anything they want though, for fairly obvious reasons... :roll:

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:54 am

At the end of the day, they still have those runny poops... Still the number one reason I haven't bought a pair, lol! :lol:
Roxanne

Gouldian's, Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu's, Orange-cheeks, Violet-eared, Black-cheeked waxbill's and Peter's Twinspots

finchboy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by finchboy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:10 pm

Rox wrote: At the end of the day, they still have those runny poops... Still the number one reason I haven't bought a pair, lol! :lol:
Yea, aesthetic-wise, though tanagers are a league above finches, their liquidy poop are the biggest turn-off for domestic raising. Even with a concrete floor, one is still faced with contamination of perches and cages as rotting damp poop gives rise to a whole new set of health and hygiene problems not experienced by finch keepers. [-X. :mrgreen:
I Love Finches, Especially Strawberries.
I keep my Strawberry pair in a non-flight cage due to space constraints. If I have my way, I'll go for a flight cage or keep a hundred finches in a huge aviary. :)