Home from the bird fair! (much pics to share!)

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Home from the bird fair! (much pics to share!)

Post by cindy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:19 pm

Domenic...it looks like you had a wonderful time. The montane white eyes are like the pekin a bit. I kept scrolling down half expecting to see the unexpected! No pekins though ~ lol. You did a great job with your pictures.

Congratulations on your owl....he is a good looking guy!

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:44 pm

Domenic wrote: Donna - The blues are black faced dacnis. My sister was amazed by them so she's the reason we have the close up pic. :lol: I remember your original post about the grey headed olive backs. That's when I originally fell in love with them. I was so excited to see them in person. The markings on their heads make them look like little ninjas. .

Yes... I looked for that post but couldn't find it. I saw them once in Floyd's cage and wanted them so badly, but wasn't sure about the compatibility with my other birds. They are so pretty to me in their own way. They remind me a little of the Swee's in size etc...
Donna

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:29 pm

Domenic - can you tell me what the "fine print" says on his cards that show the name/price of the birds for sale? Thanks!
Liz

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:48 pm

All I can say is, "WOW"! Great report and pics. Awesome birds.
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:40 pm

Thanks everyone, glad to have brought you these pictures! And I'm VERY happy with my owl too. He's a real character. :lol:

Liz - the fine print was just a short synopsis of the bird in the cage. I took a pic of one if you'd like to see:

Donna - I'm not sure, but I don't think the GHOB would get along very well with cubans. I believe they are closely related, and I know how aggressive cubans can be with their own kind.
Last edited by Domenic on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:44 pm

By the way, in the very first pic they had something called crimson breasted finches. A lot of you might have overlooked them because the picture is really bad, but they were very beautiful birds too. They were the exact size of a regular finch.
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:46 pm

I think that it is wonderful that they show where the birds originate from and what to feed them. =D> If only more brokers and pet stores would take the time to do that.
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:46 pm

That is a nice touch to give a little information about the species....
I know I must answer the question...Where do they come from? at least 200 times a day at the shows. After a while I get loopy and think I am funny so I answer them by saying... Well, they come from eggs :lol: :lol: Nobody finds that answer as funny as I do :wink:

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:48 pm

CandoAviary wrote:That is a nice touch to give a little information about the species....
I know I must answer the question...Where do they come from? at least 200 times a day at the shows. After a while I get loopy and think I am funny so I answer them by saying... Well, they come from eggs :lol: :lol: Nobody finds that answer as funny as I do :wink:
=D> =D> =D> I do... but maybe that's because I'm not a beginner sitting there contemplating buying a finch. :D
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:46 pm

Domenic wrote:Thanks everyone, glad to have brought you these pictures! And I'm VERY happy with my owl too. He's a real character. :lol:

Liz - the fine print was just a short synopsis of the bird in the cage. I took a pic of one if you'd like to see:
[ http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l60/domenicandhisipod/100_6099.jpg ]

Donna - I'm not sure, but I don't think the GHOB would get along very well with cubans. I believe they are closely related, and I know how aggressive cubans can be with their own kind.
Thank you very much!
Liz

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:53 am

Thanks for clearing that up Fardad. That is great news that they are not aggressive, this opens the door to those of us with mixed flocks. Donna, you can add this species to your list now. :lol:

I also thought you would know the answer to this, are grenadiers belligerent towards cordon bleus? I've read this in a few places but I'm not sure what to make of it since a few members on this forum have them living together peacefully.

sierranomad
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by sierranomad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:54 am

Domenic wrote: Liz - the fine print was just a short synopsis of the bird in the cage. I took a pic of one if you'd like to see:
[ http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l60/domenicandhisipod/100_6099.jpg ]
Wow! This is great. I was pretty frustrated at the Bird Mart I was at because most vendors didn't have identification or pricing. I recognized some the few that I've come to know (Guoldians, owls, star, purple grenadiers, orange weavers, society, zebra) but so many others I had no clue as to what they were or how much they cost.
Jon

5 sweet Societies, 5 mischevious Zebras, 2 female Stars; 3 European Goldfinches.

Wishlist: Cordon Bleu, Gold breast, Red Headed Parrot

"I have Red Headed Parrot tastes, but a Zebra budget."

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:50 pm

I'm not sure if someone can answer this (maybe Fardad?) but is the blue-faced Dacnis also a tanager or is it compatible with finches? It looks like there was a lot of fruit in its cage so I wasn't sure...?
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:57 pm

While were at it Fardad :lol:, can the grey headed olive backs be bred in a mixed walk-in without agression? I was also wondering about Dybowski Twinspots, I seem to be getting mixed opinions on their temperament as well.

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:20 am

WOW! :)

I never see this kind of selection here in Atlanta anymore :| Just lots and lots of Gouldians :?