Couple of Blue-Gray Tanagers for sale in Quebec

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
Brette
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Couple of Blue-Gray Tanagers for sale in Quebec

Post by Brette » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:53 pm

I have never seen these birds for sale anywhere....are they "new" to the hobby? A pair of them are being sold on kijiji in my area for $300.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-oiseaux/saint-hy ... 1108289489

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Couple of Blue-Gray Tanagers for sale in Quebec

Post by Sally » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:13 pm

They aren't really new to the hobby, but they aren't imported that often either. They are from South America, and they are fruit eaters. Birds Express in Los Angeles has them now, as does Bird Product.

http://www.birdsexpress.net/blue-grey-tanager.html
http://www.birdproduct.com/birds/blue-grey-tanager/
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:10 pm

Brette

Oh good grief ! Why do they have to be in Quebec???
:((
Why can't they be in Alberta ????

I love these guys, love all Tanagers.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

erine
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by erine » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:52 am

lovezebs

OR Ontario. They are so pretty!
A pair of Gouldians, Red Cheeked CB's, Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Javas, and Cutthroats. And, two canaries. And, 3 kids, a dog and a patient, patient husband.

Brette
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Brette » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:34 am

Guys.... Quebec is just a hop-skip-and-a-jump away from you!!! They need a good home, come on! :D

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:02 am

Brette

LOL.....maybe a hop and a skip for Erine in Ontario, but a hop from Alberta ? Afraid I'm not that good at hopping any more :-D

I do love the Tanagers though. Google images of the Red Tanagers, they are to die for. These blue lovelies, are just gorgeous too, sigh......
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Brette
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Brette » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:15 am

Mhmm I agree, tanagers seems to be gorgeous birds. Not for everyone though as they seem to only eat fruits and insects which I would think could get costly!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:32 am

Brette

Yes, they would be somewhat expensive to maintain, and they do tend to have liquid poops from what I hear, but..... I want them, I WANT THEM !!! :(( :(( :(( wah-wha-wah !!!!
~Elana~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:16 am

Brette@erine@lovezebs I'll move this thread to the 'All Things Softbill' forum. I should have caught it before, someone brought it to my attention.

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:19 am

Tanagers are on my wish list. Absolutely beautiful but hard to come by here in SA :(

@lovezebs
Elana, can't you get them shipped to you?? :wink:
Roxanne

Gouldian's, Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu's, Orange-cheeks, Violet-eared, Black-cheeked waxbill's and Peter's Twinspots

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:34 am

Rox

I have seen pictures of different Tanagers, that are amazingly beautiful. I'm always surprised, that they are not more popular with bird keepers.

Regarding these two (who are two different subspecies, and not even sure if male or female, or the age) , I don't believe Brette would want to attempt shipping (most especially not in the Winter). We are talking a huge distance, even though it's the same country.

Plus I'm poor, and I don't have the space for a species with such different needs from the rest of the crew :-(

But I can dream, can't I ????? :YMDAYDREAM: :YMDAYDREAM: :YMDAYDREAM:
~Elana~

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:05 am

lovezebs

Elana, we have to dream!!

I would love to get some softbills, tanagers especially. But the cost and effort to feed them is what has put me off (never mind the purchase cost of the birds!). That and the watery poo's, lol!
Roxanne

Gouldian's, Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu's, Orange-cheeks, Violet-eared, Black-cheeked waxbill's and Peter's Twinspots

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:48 am

Rox

Yea, the watery poop..... can you imagine the splat that would make on your head :YMSICK: =))

Feeding would be a mixture of mainly fruits, from what I gather, with an insect mixture for protein added.

If they were available around here, and reasonably priced, I would give it a try, but as it is, I guess both of us will just have to go on dreaming.......
~Elana~

Stinch
Mature
Mature

Post by Stinch » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:56 pm

Isn't watery poo a sign of disease? My neighbors tanager doesn't have any watery poo... The people I know just keep them in those tiny wooden canary/wild bird cages :? One of my neighbor have some birds native to my area, such as 3 pepper-shrikes, some kind of icterid bird, brazillian "oriole", bicudos, cúrios, etc (Bird nomenclature is decieving, migrating tanagers aren't tanagers, but cardinal grosbeaks. "American Orioles and Blackbirds" are icterids and not old world orioles)...

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:06 am

Magnificent BirdMan Many of the softbills have fairly watery poop, because they eat so much fruit in their diet. My parents used to have a mynah, which was fed moistened dry dog kibble and fruit, especially grapes. His poop was disgusting, the cage had to be cleaned every single day!

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier to answer locale-specific questions later on. The birds mentioned in your post make me think you are not in the U.S.