Just Love These Birds

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Re: Just Love These Birds

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:49 pm

lovezebs

Yeah, i think it would be much easier to ship you to the birds instead :lol:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Ricardo Ronsini

Better not.
Don't want you ending up in jail over some pretty birdies :-O

I do however wonder, why some bird brokers haven't gone down there to shop and ship some of these beauties up North.
I wonder if it is due to the fact that they are mostly fruit eaters and insectivores, and messy poopers(?)
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:58 pm

No, i meant that it is easier you coming to live here in Brazil than the birds going to live there in Canada :D, for the bureaucratic stuff.

Now we have special foods, proper to this types of birds, so i don't think that should be the reason.

But, many of them are hard to breed, and some, specially the small ones, are quite fragile, and can't stand cold weather, i think these are the main points.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:10 pm

Ricardo Ronsini

Move to Brazil? :shock:

My dear boy, last Spring I moved to a different house (only a few km away) and it almost killed me, lol.

I think my days of moving to a different country, learning a new language, and so on, are over (unless I win a big lottory). Regretably I have lived in this frozen 'wonderland' called Canada for far too many years :( .

Maybe a visit..... with a big coat with huge pockets, tee hee hee... "Now be quiet pretty little birdies, shhhh-shhhh.... NO, YOU CAN'T POOP NOW!!!"
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:55 pm

LOL

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Ricardo Ronsini Looks like the scarlets with a bigger beak.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:57 pm

sparrowsong98

True, they look quite the same.

Here we call the brazilian of "sangue de boi", that means bull's blood, because of its concentrated dark red color, very alike pure blood.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:46 pm

lovezebs wrote: I have admired the different Tanager species for quite some time now.

Today, I hit upon some videos of the Scarlet Tanager and had fun watching them. I thought some of you may enjoy them as well.

https://youtu.be/kmruhhjOHs0

Aren't they absolutely stunning looking birds?
Loverly birds Elana but I take it that yer know that yer not allowed to keep the Scarlet Tanager as there protected :YMSMUG:

In the past I've kept : Superb, Paradise, Mexican, Sliver blue, blue necked, bay headed, Palm and Marron bellied Tanagers and are truly fascinating birds to watch as they are constantly on the go all the time :-D

Only trouble with these birds is the constant every day cleaning or at least every other day,

I used to spread news paper at the bottom of large stock cages within the birdroom when the birds were housed in the cages for the winter and was then just a case of removing 1 sheet of paper every day :thumbup:

One would actually be very surprised to know that most of the Tanagers and some of the closely related chlorophonias and euthonias are actually quite hardy when it comes to a bit of cold weather once acclimatised.

The biggest killer for all birds is cold draughs in outside avaires and where the birds are exposed to the cold elements but if there housed throughout the winter months indoors or a decent birdroom that is lined the birds don't really need any of form of heat

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Ricardo Ronsini Only ever saw one scarlet. :cry: I do see some bright red flying around the woods so I think they are around though. Much too bright for cardinals, which are the only other red bird we get, and definitely not a house finch.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:14 pm

I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi everyone, just fund this thread (better late than never, I guess) and must agree with all of you: tanagers are absolutely lovely!
Last month, when we were on a five day trip to Sedona, Arizona, we saw a summer tanager on one of our hikes! Had never seen one before and needed my trusty bird book to identify it. Since we couldn't get a clear picture of it, I'll add a link to a YouTube video.
Enjoy!
Iso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI3pZ3t2i4E