purple honey creepers.

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: purple honey creepers.

Post by wildbird » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:25 pm

Very lucky birds to be going to such a nice place! I'm sure they will do well with you. Good luck and hope to hear from you again.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:02 am

katie

It sounds like you have a wonderful place for your birds, and it is lucky that your neighbor chose you to rehome them with. These birds are definitely specialty birds, so they needed to go to someone who would have a setup that would work for them. I have no doubt that you will be able to provide them what they need.

I will move this thread to the All Things Softbill forum, since that is where they belong. Please keep us posted. BTW, I deleted your other post, since it is a duplicate of the one starting this thread, and you figured out how to start your own topic.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

katie
Pip
Pip

Post by katie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:25 am

LOL! @ lovezebs. you are more than welcome! pack up ! wow 100... I have about 20.

I am so sorry Sally. I didn't realize I wrote this in the wrong place. but I am starting to think this site is not the right place.

I know fire finches are not like these. it was just an example of people saying , you can't do something... and if you are committed to learning and giving them the best you can, armed with advice and knowledge gathered . you can do it.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:33 am

To learn more, some of the books listed here might help:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ls/?ie=UTF ... VMNE9XD3CX

And one piece of advice:
If you keep them with finches, the latter may well like the nectar and livefood intended for the honeycreepers. Make sure there is enough left for them for the whole day, as small softbills can starve to death in one day.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:43 am

katie

Thanks for the offer of welcome, but I couldn't fit all the birds into carry on, darn it :-L ...and then there are the dogs and the fish #-o , sigh....

Ah well, I guess we'll just have to enjoy your place through pictures only, so I shall be looking forward to those.

You mention 20 birdlings, are they all African Fires?
They are gorgeous little birds, and quite often overlooked by bird lovers.

When are you getting the new kids by the way?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:42 pm

katie

Oh dear, I am sorry you feel that way. :cry: It did seem (by your first post ) that you purchased a species without research. :oops:

I think the reactions were more "concern", than "snarky" from some extremely experienced finch owners, whom I have learned a LOT from.

I hope you reconsider your decision to revisit. I would LOVE to hear all about this species from you. Enjoy the new additions to your aviary! :YMDAYDREAM:

katie
Pip
Pip

Post by katie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:52 am

I am not sure if I am posting this in right place. my new purple honey creepers are dong very well. thank you lovezebs for your support! I really appreciated you being so kind. Also your faith in me .

They adapted quiet well so far. I am making sure they eat. none of my other birds drink nectar. they have been visiting my tubular plants as well. I see them bathing in the flowing bird bath as well. So all good so far. I got the recipe from the man whose wife kept them for years. So I hope they will be fine. I was not really worried until I got negative comments in here. I know now. I should just trust myself. they are seemingly happy and doing fine.! they are enjoying the space. and seem very happy.

I have a the list, and recipe for them. I will make sure they are happy and healthy. My vet said , I should not worry. he has faith in me. so I do too.

Frankly , I was a bit scared. and comments from some in here made me more scared. now I feel fine. they are doing well. I am confident I can care for them and make them happy. I have read all the sites. I have also , consulted my vet.

I can assure W.I. they will not die in a day.

I want to say this. I came in thinking I would get positive information. I did from some.

I also got very negative slams from others. not what I expected from a site I thought was a venue for help. I did not chose these birds. I was asked to take them. I was in here looking for help.

while I found some encouragement. I also encountered some really mean spirited comments. it did not deter me!
I can assure you all. I will make sure they live long happy lives. with or without help for pompous people on this site . sorry if I seem a bit ticked.. but I am. not at all in here. some were helpful and supportive. I am at some who think they are above it all. let me tell you , you are not above it all!
they are my birds now. and I will make sure they have the best life possible.
W.I. and andioke they did not die in a day! they are flying free, eating and doing just fine! quite frankly, better than I expected. I suppose better than you expected! my grandfather raised parrots long ago before people did it... he taught me a lot. to be honest . I should have just trusted myself and never come in here for advice or help. I do want to thank all of you who found sites and did help me. I did read them and they did help.

I thought it was a safe place to talk , get help , advice. not mean spirited comments from pious people . my advice to you w.i. is life is short. be nice , help when you can. don't beat people up for trying to do something nice for someone. I took the birds from the man because his wife died. He had no other option but a shelter who would give them to the first idiot with 20 dollars who thought the birds were pretty.

I wish you all well.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:41 am

Oh my, what an idiot!
Now I can really not say anything else.
I wonder if she even bothered to actually read what we wrote. In fact, obviously not.
Her lengthy post of complaining about imagined insults just reminds me of another recent one, with Sally on the receiving end.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:15 am

katie

Please let me apologize for some members, who seem to have no manners whatsoever.

Personally, I would love to hear more about your new birdies.

We have all too few people on here with these types of birds, and I would really like to know more about them from someone with first hand experience.

Please PM me, if you don't feel comfortable on the Forum.

All the best of luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:42 am

katie I too apologize for the comments of some forum members. We should all be supportive here. There is no reason to criticize you, you have done all you can to learn about these birds. You didn't go out and purchase birds without research, these were given to you under difficult circumstances. I applaud you for taking them in, which must have been a huge relief to the family that had them previously.

I would like to remind all members that this forum is about helping each other. Jumping to conclusions does not help. Snarky comments do not help. Please keep this in mind when making future posts.

Katie, I do hope that you have not been driven away by the negative comments in this thread. We can all learn from your experience, since most of us don't have softbills. We can live vicariously through you. I've always wanted to have softbills, but I don't have the setup for them. You do.

katie
Pip
Pip

Post by katie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:49 pm

lovezebs

thank you! in response to your last question of me. I have only 2 fires given to me. I have a pair of red cheeked cordon . 3 spice . 1 goldbreasted waxbill. 2 gouldians. but my male thinks he is a society finch. :) . it is funny to watch him try to court a MALE society day after day. he sings hops for him... while I feel bad for my gouldian. Sam, is his name. It is entertaining. I have had a stern talk with him...to no avail! LOL!
2 society. and zebs which keep growing in numbers. 3 owls. 3 green singers . now my 2 purple honey creepers. oh and how can I forget... my red canary , stosh! lol who seems to hate everyone.

I started with the blues. also given to me . I only had stosh (canary) . The man who gave him to me after my husbands stroke belongs to a finch club here in town. So when someone is looking to place a bird, he tells them to call me. I give back to the club, by sharing chicks they want or are in need of.

I am happy with my little group. large enough space for them to all live peacefully. I can sit out there at my table and they buzz around. lol ..and stosh the canary sings to me. lol.. the green singers as well.

I live alone , so they are my focus, and they make me very happy. they all have names. :)... I am strange, I know.

I am so very glad to have met you. you are a very nice person. I will figure out to put pictures on here. when I do I will send some .

If I knew how to private message you, I would, have not figured that out yet either. :)

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:23 pm

katie

To send a private message, go to the bottom left of the desired person's post and click the third button that says "pm." It will take you to another screen where you can add other people to private message, write a message, and upload attachments. The first attachment you upload becomes the last one viewable, and vice versa.
Attachments
Private message button
Private message button
Private message screen
Private message screen

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:20 pm

katie

I'm glad you decided to stick with us, and I really hope you stay, because you sound just like the kind of person who would fit right into our nutty little group, lol.

All things considering we are not a bad lot, and I'm truly sorry you got a bit of a rough welcome :roll: . We usually don't HAZE new members :twisted: , it's really not part of our tradition [-X .

It sounds like you have a nice collection of birdlings in your wonderful set up, and I'm really looking forward to some pictures in the future.

It's funny you mention your red factor Canary Stosh.....

After close to twenty years living with Lovebirds (who are btw evil little birds :evil: ), I swore off birds. That was it, no more birds!!!

This lasted until I heared a Canary singing in a Garden Center a few weeks later.

The next thing I knew, I was visiting Frank the Canary guy, and coming home with a red factor Canary, whom I named Luciano :- .

Luciano, was going to be the one and only bird.... there would be no more....

Wellllll, that was untill I saw 2 bedraggled, fluffed up tiny Zebras in my Pet Shop. I was told that they were 2 old birds who someone had turned in, and they were a fraction of the regular price, and well...they ended up coming home with me.

It turned out, that they were two as yet unmoulted Zebra fledgling brothers ( Teddy and Timmy).

Then I happened to be at our Humane Society, that just happened to be overrun with Zebra finches... (Max and Micky came home with me).

One thing led to another and today there are close to one hundred birds of different species who live in my bird room and keep me busy and happy.

P.S.

I see Icearstorm already explained how to send a PM, and how to post pictures.
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:54 am

katie Cant wait to here about your crew of kids and the enormous time you are able to dedicate to them. I'll pop in from time to watch your thread and enjoy your new softbill antics.

I work......A LOT. Forgive me if I miss details. Welcome to the forum =D>

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:02 am

katie One of our former members had a large porch aviary that her husband built for her. When I visited, we sat on the porch while the birds flew around and above us. It was magical! I would love to have a space large enough to sit out and have my coffee in the morning with my birds flying around me. They must be such a comfort to you.