purple honey creepers.

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
katie
Pip
Pip

Re: purple honey creepers.

Post by katie » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:58 am

they are actually. I make eggs in the morning for me and them. One dish for me, on for them. they fly to the table. steal some and look at me. my husband had a stroke 4 years ago. he is in a nursing home. So I have dedicated my time to filling my yard with plants, a pond. and so on. I have a few cages/flights... but set them all free on the lanai about a year ago. they are a comfort yes. some are really attached. and will eat off my plate. may sound a bit creepy, but I kind of like it! they land on me as well. some. new ones take time. then they realize I am no threat, and I am the person who feeds them.

katie
Pip
Pip

Post by katie » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:31 am

I have tried the pm. not sure I was successful. I want you all to know. the new purple honey creeper are doing well!!! they seem very happy. actually a bit sassy! I put up humming bird feeders. I got them some wingless fly things... ewww.. but hey they need them... so I need to suck it up and do the gross factor with a grin.. They were used to that from the previous home. I am really hopeful they will do fine. lovezebs... I think I sent your pm to me. I will get this one day. next is pictures. I will see how that goes. I took some today. but lets see if I can post them here. don't get excited. I am slow with this site! I have no idea why I just can't seem to get it. I will.

I am a night owl. and need little sleep. but it is bed time for me.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:46 am

katie

The pm thingie is quite simple really, the pictures are a bit more complicated.

If you look at this post from me...

*Go down to where it says 'pm' on the screen, bottom of my post, and click on it once.

You will see a new screen

*Enter a title for your PM

*Go down into the small screen and write your message

*Then click on 'submit'
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:02 am

Attachments
IMG_20170628_064641.jpg
IMG_20170628_065005.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:09 am

katie

I got your PM. It normally takes a while to figure out the format, but once you learn, it's fairly easy to use.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:46 am

katie Here is a link to a thread on how to post photos on the forum. Hope this helps.

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22710
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:11 pm

katie

How are the new kids on the block doing?
~Elana~

katie
Pip
Pip

Post by katie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:36 am

they are doing really well!!! I am pleasantly surprised! they seemed to just " move in". my space is big enough that they don't have to share space, well a little , but they adapted so well!. I have a humming bird feeder , they love. and I do provide wingless bugs. but they seem to clean the lanai of the winged ones. They are master at catching gnats and all other bugs that sneak in, I did not want them to starve , so I provide the wingless ones.. I am free of bugs. lol. it is sort of a blessing. the daughter told me her parents, really did not know much. they did provide nectar. but they sort of were on their own out there other than that. go figure. water of course . her mother a little about them. but her father knew very little. they are so pretty, and buzz around like all others.

I think we are good! they bathe in the fountain. do not seem to mind other birds. but I do not have tons. with them I think I have 22 or 24.. minus babies, which I give to people to want them at the canary-finch club... I am happy they are doing well. so happy! I am glad they have a home, and seem to be living very happy. Thank you for asking!

I have not come back here. I really felt unwelcome, besides you lovezebs and a few others... but all in all . just not a place for me. call me strange, but I don't do mean. once I figure out the pm thing. I will send you my email. and can send pics easy from my email to you. if you are comfortable with that. we can share pics and talk if ok with you. if not I understand.

I guess I was looking for something non attainable. A site with helpful people. not people who will beat me up. just a bad experience here. perhaps I did not state it right when asking, but still no reason for what I got. I was simply reaching out for help. I figured it out, with some help from some in here and from my vet... I read it all...

they are doing very well!!! ..oh and they are so beautiful! I am happy I could give them a new home. I do my best to learn and provide the best for new guests. lol
I am not new at taking in birds. People bring them to me all the time. I do what I can. I have not killed one yet. these were a little scary , it is why I reached out. I was wrong to do so, but I did find some nice people, like you! . so that is good.

katie
Pip
Pip

Post by katie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:47 am

there are some in here that want to demoralize, rather than help. perhaps because they do not know the answers to questions posed. Perhaps because they feel above it all. it is a shame. some very nice people in here. but you know what they say about a rotten apple. spoils the whole basket. I do wish you all well. I also hope no one encounter what I did.

katie
Pip
Pip

Post by katie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:18 am

I did find a group given to me by my vet. they are helpful. not mean or judgmental. just willing to help. give advice. I am enjoying it. Some have all sorts of exotics. Yet they do not put you down. actually kind of silly at times with stories. it is a better fit for me. I do appreciate all those in here who gave me sites. ty.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:08 am

Katie

I would love to see pics of your setup too!
So happy your new birds are doing well with you, they must be so beautiful!
~Dylan

~~~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:01 am

Your knew birds were very lucky to be placed in your care. Best wishes for you and all of your birds.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:57 am

katie

I am very happy your birdies enjoy their new space and I would love to see your pictures and hear about your birds. :)

However, I really enjoy this site, and the constant bashing about our forum is making me uncomfortable. :( the PM is really a great option to learn to use.

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:49 am

katie
First of you are being very offencive with this comment
I thought it was a safe place to talk , get help , advice. not mean spirited comments from pious people
No one did offend you so please watch out what you say.....
Second i see you are going a LOT OFF TOPIC HERE and expressing very negative words and a very negative feeling around the forum, making me and w.l. look like some sort of criminals for not helping someone KEEP some type of birds AND has ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW TO.
NO, my advice to someone like that will always be not to keep them and not even bother thinking about it UNLESS YOU DONT CARE IF THEY MAKE IT or NOT.
Plus, You have no idea how many people me or w.l. have helped with advises. If you check my posts i guarantee you that 90% of them are with advice for people that really need help with birds BUT with you it was different. You had a choice not to risk the birds lives, like I advised BUT you still took the risk.
Again, i am glad the birds are ok and wish for them all the bests.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:59 pm

Things are getting a bit heated here. May we take a moment to calm down?

Yes, these birds require more experience than other pets, but seeing as they could no longer be taken care of by the original owners, anyone with bird experience would be better than someone who never kept birds. Softbills are niche in aviculture, so finding someone with experience keeping them would be fairly time-consuming.

I've got more to say, but don't have time at the moment.