purple honey creepers.

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
katie
Pip
Pip

purple honey creepers.

Post by katie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:08 am

yes, I am dumb. I finally figured out how to start a new post. I am so sorry to everyone.
I am receiving a pair of purple honey creepers. any one have an idea how to care for them?

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: purple honey creepers.

Post by Nerine » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:59 am

katie

There is really not a lot of info on keeping them as pets. They need a large, long cage to fly back and forth in (an aviary is best). Food-wise, they require fruit (berries), nectar, livefood. You can also try getting some softbill food at an exotics store or online.

Oh, and be prepared for a LOT of cleaning; they are incredibly messy birds!
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:20 am

katie

Hi Katie,

I've been trying to find some information for you about Purple Honecreepers specifically, and Honecreepers in general...

Sadly there is very little that I could find about them other than very general facts:
-Feeds on nectar from flowers ans small insects
-Live mainly in the forest canopy
-Diet tends to be nectar based, with insects and fruit
- Best kept in large, planted outdoor aviaries.

"Very difficult to keep, best left to very experienced bird keepers."

Here's a Thread from some time ago in the Forum about someone else who was looking for information about them...

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=6282

...but it's an old thread and doesn't really offer much information.

Another site about Tanagers in general below...

https://www.petinfoclub.com/Birds/Profi ... agers.aspx

https://dlaviaries.wordpress.com/specie ... ycreepers/

http://www.thefinchfarm.com/purple-honeycreeper/

https://birds.knoji.com/what-to-feed-a-softbill-bird/

What made you decide on this difficukt species???
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:33 am

katie

Here is a type of nectar sold for pet birds like yours and also lorikeets.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... DQodOPINjg

I dont know where you live but my local pet store sells 5 lb bags of the same under a different brand name for around $13. Thats a lot of nectar. I'd have to look for the brand next time I stop by that shop. But I am sure you can check the internet for a reasonably priced nectar. Make sure its vitamin fortified.
Ask the person who sold you them what container they "drink" the nectar mix from. Or you could possibly use a hummingbird feeder.

My GOSH! They are beautiful birds!

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:01 am

Not exactly the kind of birds that should be kept by someone who has no idea how to keep them!

katie
Pip
Pip

Post by katie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:20 pm

Thank you everyone. I did not choose them. an elderly couple has them. She just passed and he is moving up north to live with his daughter. they asked me if I would take them.
I have a very large lanai/porch ( big screened cage :) ) L shaped - 21' x 20' x 10' . It has a lot of large established plants, some reaching 10 ft high. A flowing bird bath, concrete floor. my finches all fly free. I hose my floor every morning. Rather easy to clean. One section is covered/roof. one part tall atrium. it is attached to house via dinning room sliding doors .
The couple lived or lives on the street behind mine and they could see my lanai through the jungle lots that surround my backyard. mostly because I have it fitted with lights. I live in Florida. once I figure out to put a picture on here. I will.

katie
Pip
Pip

Post by katie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:26 pm

since I now know how messy they are, I am glad I put a market umbrella over my table. lol how could I say no? what are they going to do with them? I will read and

katie
Pip
Pip

Post by katie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:27 pm

figure it all out. I will make sure they are happy.

katie
Pip
Pip

Post by katie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:30 pm

it is just one pair. male is blue , female is kind of greenish. I did not see her well. they daughter has to catch them before she leaves with her father.

katie
Pip
Pip

Post by katie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:35 pm

I am thinking I will try a humming bird feeder for the nectar. I do have a lipstick plant out there and some hoya, . I think they will find ample little fruit flies, if I just put a piece of fruit out there. those little things get in all the time. how , I don't know. right through the screen I guess. or perhaps through the little doggie door. lol

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:08 pm

w.l. wrote: Not exactly the kind of birds that should be kept by someone who has no idea how to keep them!
what w.l. said

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:18 pm

katie

Well, it sounds like they were kind of dropped into your lap.

I would sit down with the soon to be former owner and a note pad, and get all the information about their care from him. If he's had them for a while, then I am assuming he has some knowledge about the species, and would be able to answer most of your questions.

Regarding your lanai, can I come and live there?
It sounds absolutely gorgeous, and I'm house trained, I promise, and not messy like the honeycreepers... giggle ;)) ;)) ;))
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

katie
Pip
Pip

Post by katie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:12 pm

you can!!!! as long as you don't make me feel bad like some others have for taking them.

I am not exactly new at this. maybe this species. But I will make sure to read all I can. find out from that little old man. how his wife took care of them. at the moment he is a bit crushed over the loss of his wife. The daughter told me today, she will give me all the supplies they have for them. I have other finches that eat live food. my fire finches will not breed without live food. I knew nothing about them when they were dumped in my lap either. I read , asked for help. they are happy little campers now. imagine my shock when they actually had little ones. People told me they were difficult. I would never ever certainly ever get them to reproduce. HA!

I suppose he could have taken them to outreach shelter, where they could go to someone who just took them because they matched a couch, and willing to pay the 20$ fee... at least I am going to try to give them a good life. it is why I reached out here.

no one gave me a manual for my kids either. They are still alive! :). and reproducing....

I thought maybe someone in here had some. I have a vet, who is an avian, / exotics vet. I will ask him , he is very good . I am sure he can help me out.

Again thank you all who sent me sites and suggestions. They are helpful , I will learn and provide them will all they need.... as for the snarky and not helpful comments , well... everyone has an opinion about something. thank you as well, but I can assure you , I am determined they will thrive here. I do not taking them in lightly. It is why I came here from help.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:18 pm

Firefinches and nectarivorous softbills are not the same category.
In fact Red-billed Firefinches are among the easiest waxbills to keep and breed.

But if you already have good general experience with bird-keeping AND get detailed instructions on how to keep these, plus their food, from their former owner, they should be OK.
But then it's unnecessary to ask for advice here where very few members have experience with any kind of softbills.
I am one of the few, but all my nectarivorous softbills have been Asian species and the experience with them has varied from relatively easy (white-eyes) to pretty much imposible (small sunbirds), so I wouldn't venture to give advice on ones I have never kept.

Anyway, there is a specific softbill forum on here:

http://www.finchforum.com/viewforum.php?f=87

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:46 pm

katie

I'll start packing, lol.

I try not to make people feel bad about getting different birds. With close to a hundred birds in my care, who am I to judge anyone else :roll: ? I know what it's like when people look at you, and go :shock: 8-} 8-} 8-}

I hope that all will go well with these two, and that you'll come to enjoy them.

Good luck.
~Elana~