Purple Honeycreeper? Info please...

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
safarichick101
Pip
Pip

Purple Honeycreeper? Info please...

Post by safarichick101 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:28 pm

Does anybody know anything about the care of purple honeycreepers and other tanager type birds?
11 beautiful hens, 1 tiny but mighty rooster named Canello, 2 shelter dogs named sparky and rose, 2 cats named figaro and vanessa, too many guppies to count, a rabbit named bugsy, No finches yet.
:i.kokin: :i.kinka: :i.kokin:

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Purple Honeycreeper? Info please...

Post by Sally » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:35 am

I have never kept softbills, but there are a few members here who have. Hopefully, someone can chime in and help you. I think their diet is quite different from most finches, being more fruit-based. They are harder to find, and tend to be expensive.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:36 am

Yes and with a fruit base diet we are talking about very dirty(poop) cages :shock:
Best kept in large outdoor aviaries :D

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:21 am

Tanagers are beautiful birds but not easy to keep.I wouldn't advise keeping them unless you have experience with the easier to keep species.No matter how much you read up about these birds lack of experience will only bring disappointment.

yjkodiak
Pip
Pip

Post by yjkodiak » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:51 am

I have a pair of red-legged honeycreepers, and am desperate to learn more about them. They were adults when I took them in, and they've been with me for about 2 years. The male sings and dances, but the pair has never legged eggs. I feed them mazuri softbill pellets soaked in mango nectar with supplements added to the mix. I also give them fruit and live insects. So far, they haven't eaten mealworms, but they occasionally will eat rice flour beetle larvae. They live in an indoor flight in a sunny location, by themselves. I offered different types of nests, and the female likes to sleep in an open canary nest, but has never laid eggs. I don't know if this is intentional nest-building or just a mess, but their nest fills up with sticky material that hardens... not sure if it's food or poop or both. After a few months, I'll throw it out and put in a new nest, because it seems like a health hazard, and besides, they have never laid (have I already said that?). If you have any success with your honeycreepers, I'd love to hear it!

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:00 am

When looking for Pekin Robins I came across this site and there are many breeders with information about certain softbills you can try going through this and contacting by email or call to see if they can help you.

http://www.softbillsforsale.com/

There is also a forum for softbills that is connected to the site, it is small but they may be able to help you

http://www.softbillsforum.com/

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:04 pm

Cindy you are the most devoted Pekin fan I have ever met. :lol: I really really hope you find a pair, perhaps when they are allowed to be shipped in again :?: :)
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:02 pm

Dominec, these are the birds that I remember the most that my mother raised. I did find them about 4 yrs ago but the breeder that had them was no caring for them correctly, they looked sick and stressed. There were about 6 crammed into a tiny show cage. they need long cages to exercise properly.

They stress easily if not housed right. At $35.00 a piece I should have bought the lot of them and taken them right to my avian vet. It probably would have cost a fortune to heal them, their feathers were in such bad shape, sticky looking and they had runny stools.

This is the last I have seen of them. Those that have them hang onto them and if they sell them they would be between $1000.00 to $2000.00 a pair. Way back when I was your age, my mother could buy them for $30.00 a pair.

There is a man in Naples that offered to import them for me but that concerns me as far as the health of the bird goes. Funny in Southeast Asia they are abundant.

They even fly free in Hawaii. They escaped from a breeder and developed a colony. Hmmm maybe I should go to Hawaii!!!!! Roadtrip!!!

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only