Yellow Hooded Blackbird

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Yellow Hooded Blackbird

Post by Domenic » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:49 pm

CLICK THIS LINK AFTER READING BELOW

I was on singing-wings-aviary.com today browsing their selection and found that they have a yellow hooded blackbird for sale. I was stunned at this bird, but I know nothing about it at all. For starters is it finch size or crow/raven size? If it's the latter I won't be interested because I have an aviary with finches and putting in a large bird isn't the best idea. But does anybody know anything about this bird? I do know that it's stunning, perhaps I should get a yellow bishop weaver instead, which is similar but less pretty in my opinion.
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

Nipper06
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Re: Yellow Hooded Blackbird

Post by Nipper06 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:04 pm

A Yellow-Hooded Blackbird is pretty large. Like the size of a Grackle (10 - 12 inches long). It would definitely be extremely dangerous to put it in a cage with finches.

I'm not sure how they can sell it, as it is a protected wild bird species. Maybe it was born in captivity and has a closed leg band, proving it is captive bred? But you'd still need a permit to own it in the US or Canada, since it is a native bird - UNLESS this is some South American species that is not the same as the native species. In any case, a blackbird of any kind would probably be risky with finches because they are all omnivores and will try to eat anything they can swallow.

It's funny I just saw my first Yellow-Headed Blackbird earlier this month in Arizona, while on a bird watching trip there.
Ron

My Pets: 2 Java Sparrows, 1 Canary, 4 Gouldian Finches, 1 Green Singer, 2 Ringneck Doves, 1 Budgie, 2 Rosy Bourke Parakeets, and 1 Mixed-breed Terrier

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:10 am

I did a search for yellow-hooded blackbird, and the Louisville Zoo had a fact sheet on them. They are native to northern South America and Trinidad, and they are 10-12" in size, so pretty big. I noticed on the Singing Wings website, it says the birds are shipped from their CA facility--I wonder if they are using Birds Express, which is in Los Angeles area.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:30 am

I figured that it was large judging from the picture, I was just hoping that it wasn't. Though I am interested in their orange cheeks and goldbreasts. I really hope to get both in one order, we'll see. I just have to wait for when the temperature goes down to 85° since that is their shipping requirement. Right now it's 103° so it'll be a while. :(
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:56 am

I do not know how many of the birds SWA breeds themselves.
I think they are mostly brokers of the exotics.

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:37 am

I have a lot of respect for Mandy at SWA. She is honest, answers all emails and questions promptly. They are the only people I have been buying birds from for the last year. I have gotten only top quality birds from them. As for the shipping, she has USPS ship dates posted on the home page. She has shipped birds to me in freezing weather and in hot weather. The birds always arrive in tip top shape regardless of the weather conditions.
Once I called Birds Express to ask if they ship USPS (I am too far from the NO airport) and she told me no and told me to contact Paul at SWA. So evidently there is some affiliation there. If you are not buying a ton of birds it is actually cheaper to buy from SWA. However You can probably save a bundle with Birds Express if you are placing a large order. Also as long as the birds are not delayed (lost) by USPS the birds are guaranteed.
People Are The Ultimate Spectacle!
JohnBoy

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:46 am

Nipper06 wrote:A Yellow-Hooded Blackbird is pretty large. Like the size of a Grackle (10 - 12 inches long). It would definitely be extremely dangerous to put it in a cage with finches.

I'm not sure how they can sell it, as it is a protected wild bird species. Maybe it was born in captivity and has a closed leg band, proving it is captive bred? But you'd still need a permit to own it in the US or Canada, since it is a native bird - UNLESS this is some South American species that is not the same as the native species. In any case, a blackbird of any kind would probably be risky with finches because they are all omnivores and will try to eat anything they can swallow.

It's funny I just saw my first Yellow-Headed Blackbird earlier this month in Arizona, while on a bird watching trip there.
I believe he meant "yellow hooded" and not "yellow headed" and they are 2 different species (see latin names):

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Yell ... ackbird/id

http://www.arthurgrosset.com/sabirds/ye ... kbird.html

Though I don't understand it either, they look exactly the same to me... :shock:
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:47 pm

A yellow Hooded Blackbird is from South America. It is appx. 7 inches long. I imagine the North American yellow Headed blackbird, which is much larger, is a relative. If you check under the 'price list' section, it will describe each bird, nation of origin and size for you. The 'Available' section does not. I believe SWA is connected with Birds Express in western US. All in all, a beautiful bird, but not for mixing with delicate finches.
Last edited by Pukasand on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:54 am

For those following this thread, it had turned into a discussion about shipping birds. I split it off so that it could stand alone, as it would have been lost in this thread. That discussion is now under 'General' titled 'Shipping Birds USPS vs Airlines'.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org