New Bird ;)

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: New Bird ;)

Post by cindy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:28 am

Tiffany , critter is adorable. Very sweet. The video is really great, it shows how affectionate they are. Like a little lovebird or parrotlet but gentle and QUIET. Hope you enjoy Critter, what a nice additon to your family.

Thank you for checking on the Pekins, I will pass on a female that old. I would be afraid to ship her to Florida at that age. Pekins were banned from being shipped in, they are in the US but people are holding onto them. $500 a piece is a little to pricey. I have seen them for $1000.00 easch. Eventually they will be allowed to be brought in, prices will drop. The yellow white eye looks interesting but I would have to read up on it. There are a few others very similiar to the Pekin, when I look into them if the prices are reasonable and the bird is relatively easy to care for I will post it. Maybe there is an alternative to the Pekin for now. Who knows Tiffany, you may have started a trend with little Critter!

At this time my hands are full with the finches we have plus the lovegird and 2 dogs. I'll be patient and keep looking. There are other soft bills available that are like the Pekin. I will take my time and look around.

Critter is a lucky bird, so cute.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:06 am

cindy wrote:Tiffany , critter is adorable. Very sweet. The video is really great, it shows how affectionate they are. Like a little lovebird or parrotlet but gentle and QUIET. Hope you enjoy Critter, what a nice additon to your family.

Thank you for checking on the Pekins, I will pass on a female that old. I would be afraid to ship her to Florida at that age. Pekins were banned from being shipped in, they are in the US but people are holding onto them. $500 a piece is a little to pricey. I have seen them for $1000.00 easch. Eventually they will be allowed to be brought in, prices will drop. The yellow white eye looks interesting but I would have to read up on it. There are a few others very similiar to the Pekin, when I look into them if the prices are reasonable and the bird is relatively easy to care for I will post it. Maybe there is an alternative to the Pekin for now. Who knows Tiffany, you may have started a trend with little Critter!
Thank you :)
I didn't mean to suggest he was selling the female Pekin, sorry if it sounded that way! He's not selling or breeding them for the same reason, basically, he hasn't been able to find any :)

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:12 am

Critter is just cute! I didn't know that there are birds other than hookbills that can become so tame. Adorable! :D
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:11 pm

Got the DNA test results back today!!

Critter is a GIRL!! :) :)

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:14 pm

Awww congrats on a sweet baby girl Tiffany =D> =D> =D>
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:39 pm

That's really great, maybe some baby 'critters' someday. Will you change her name? No matter the sex or name, still a cutie.
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:46 pm

YAY congrats on your girlie bird! =D>
Liz

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:51 pm

A little girl, how sweet. That is wonderful!!!!

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:31 pm

How's Critter adjusting to her new home? Waiting for more pictures :D I was doing some reading on them yesterday, they are fascinating birds.

Meagan83
Incubating
Incubating

Post by Meagan83 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:16 am

That video was precious!!!

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:35 pm

CandoAviary wrote:How's Critter adjusting to her new home? Waiting for more pictures :D I was doing some reading on them yesterday, they are fascinating birds.
I kept forgetting to respond to this, I was hoping to have more pictures but I've been so crazy this week. She is doing fabulously :) Eating just about anything and everything under the sun. We got our official "DNA Certificate" from Avian BioTech and it is so cute, almost like a birth certificate for our little hairy/feathered daughter ;)

She is super affectionate, and loves just sitting in the palm of your hand preening. Makes the most adorable little noises and coos.
Apparently she should start heavily molting soon into her adult plumage, and I did notice her beak is starting to darken at the tip like the mature birds :)
I will get some photos of her tonight! I have pictures of new babies I've been dying to announce, too :D

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:57 pm

I will be watching for those pics Tiffany :wink:
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:03 pm

Some pictures taken today :) I had just wiped her down a bit, so that's why she looks ruffled and wet in some of the photos.

"What? I wasn't chewing on the remote!! Honest!"

She is more interested in dog toys than bird toys! She tries to eat the polka dots..

Her favorite place to be..

We keep a towel on the table when we have her out, usually with a plate of food there, because she eats CONSTANTLY. And she is pretty easy to tell when she has to go potty, so we just put her on the towel to go - easy as can be :)

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:32 pm

She looks great and I think her tail is getting longer already! =D>
Liz

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:18 am

She has a look of curioustity and intelligence about her. She looks sweet as can be. What does your little dog think about sharing here toys? A little jealous I bet.