Mousebird

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
nixity
Molting
Molting

Mousebird

Post by nixity » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:25 am

Man.. I wish this didn't turn out so dark.. This was just too funny, one of my cats (a Ragdoll) was chilling next to me on the couch and Eric was holding Critter, and she came over to visit and spent about 20 minutes hanging out on Corkie's back.
In the beginning she was picking at her hair, nearly ripping it out, and nestling up in it, and then she started doing her shimmy dance up her back. (She reminds us of a horseshoe crab when she does this!)

I had Eric run and go grab the camera so I could video it but didn't think it would be this dark. Shame.. still cute, though :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ieiSBjsgHQ

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Mousebird

Post by lovemyfinch » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:09 am

Awwww, Tiffany , She's trying to build a nest. 8) :D

BTW I love your video on handfeeding, makes it look not soo bad. :D
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:30 am

oooh, Tiffany, that is precious. I have to give your ragdoll kudos for patience :) . Your little mouse bird acts almost like a puppy :lol: .
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:04 am

Tiffany, I love it when animals all get along. Critter is really cute, you can tell he loves being in your cats hair. Corkie doesn't seem to mind it much, how are they face to face? Does Corkie tolerate Critter with out any aggression?

I had a lovebird years ago, Mikey that loved my Maine Coon, Cricket. If she was laying in the sun on her back sleeping Mikey loved running and jumping onto Cricket's belly, rubbing his face in her silky fur. He would stand there first sizing up where to land, then jump on her like a kid jumping into a big pile of leaves. The cat would wake up and run off with Mikey running behind her squawking and trying to grab her tail. There was something about the her fur that he just loved. Funny, the cat feared him.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Animal Quackers
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Animal Quackers » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:51 am

That is a very patient cat!

But, I have to issue the warning:

Cat's mouths are FULL of nasty bacteria that can make a human very sick (think cat bite!) and kill a bird. We have a Quaker Parrot, Nico, who LOVES our oldest cat, Abby. When we first got him, he would sit on her back and preen her. She is 16 years old and very gentle, so she did not care. Well, when Nico came down with a bacterial infection, the vet said it was a stain that was "common in dog and cat saliva." Nico was fine after two weeks of daily antibiotics, a trip to the vet's office, and $180.

Nico misses Abby...he sees her every day and tells her she is a "Good Kitty Cat." He begs us to let him see her by saying, "Give a kitty kisses!" I hate telling him no...but I don't want to make him sick again!

Just food for thought...
:o) Michelle

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:48 pm

[quote="Animal Quackers"]That is a very patient cat!

But, I have to issue the warning:

Cat's mouths are FULL of nasty bacteria quote]

Thanks for making this point. Cats do not have to bite to spread the bacteria. Cats lick themselves, birds then ingest the salavia from preening or mouthing their own feet from walking on a fresh licked cat..
I have 5 cats ...love them but respect the natural bacteria that they carry. As a retired pet groomer...I have seen groomers with 'cat scratch fever' and one who even had to have her thumb amputated due to a bite, not from the bite itself but from the bacteria that got into the bloodstream. Caution is wise.

Cute bird...love ragdoll cats, they are the most laidback breed. :D

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:13 pm

Tiffany that is so adorable. Were you concerned at all that the cat would turn and try to grab the bird??? :shock:
Donna

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:45 pm

dfcauley wrote:Tiffany that is so adorable. Were you concerned at all that the cat would turn and try to grab the bird??? :shock:
No not at all - the times that she has been face to face with her, she has never tried anything and if Critter jumps towards her she runs away generally :)
She is just very mellow, about 15lbs overweight, and could care less.. LOL
Even with the basement door wide open she does not even go down into the basement where the birds are, she just sleeps on the steps :)

The other Ragdoll, Milo.. now he is a different story!!

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Tiffany, I think some animals know and respect boundries and have a good sense that the little birds are members of the family. I used to be able to have both my cats sleep next to me while I had little baby lovebirds sleep on my shoulder. There I sat, a human pillow watching tv while they all napped.

I had cats prior to children and when I was single, I never had an issue with the cats trying to get the birds, the lovebirds would be free flighted after I got home from work in one room, the cats would not bother them at all.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:16 am

That is so cute! And what a patient kitty you have! :-) =D> =D>
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.