New to the site, need help with ID

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Re: New to the site, need help with ID

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:21 am

You have a 'mousebird'? I think maybe Tiffany (aka Nixity) on this forum has a mousebird named Critter???

We'd love to see your pics! Try just uploading directly from your computer. Not sure if there's a specific size restriction on those. I typically reduce my photos to 72 pixels and they all fit.
Liz

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:35 am

That's terrible! Why would they keep birds (or other animals) if they don't really care about them!!

But to your birds: We want pictures, pictures!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:36 am

waterfaller1 wrote:Yes, sickening isn't it? What are the rules for posting pics here?Size limit?
Yes, there is a size limit. I actually find it easier to upload my pictures to Picasa (of Google, it's free) and post a link.
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 pm

This is Gryphon, my blue naped mousebird~

Last edited by waterfaller1 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:09 pm

And my red legged honeycreepers, mr. jeepers and jada~

singing and dancing :D

Last edited by waterfaller1 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Good looking birds especially the honeycreepers,have these had chicks for you :)
Bill

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi Bill thanks. No chicks yet. I have had them about a year now. I have slowly increased the foods I am feeding to include mazuri softbill pellets-crushed, and Orlux pates-uni,beo, and fruity. They get avico nectar, and prefer papaya over other fruits. I have yet to get them to accept live food, which is imperative for breeding/rearing of chicks. It was suggested they might not accept the live, unless they actually had chicks, and then to have success they need a ton of them. I am happy to just have them, whether they do or not. 8)

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:00 pm

Awful story about the neglected pets... I too live in Florida and getting a welfare check on animals in this state is difficult...especially when it come to birds. Dogs and horses get response but birds...not. Hopefully they were not used for fighting. The blind eye may have been a result and was now used as a breeding bird. Cubans are one of the popular finches to be used in fighting boxes, also saffrons and canaries. Sad :(

I love your birds. The hawk head parrot is one of my all time favorites :lol:

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:30 pm

They are all so beautiful! You have me =P~ over here. Do you know any places that I can find info on honeycreepers? They are so beautiful, I would love to know more about them.
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:45 pm

Thank you. I had wondered about the fighting aspect too. The girl said the hen came from Cuba in that condition.
here are a couple pics of Cochise :)

Last edited by waterfaller1 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:48 pm

Cochise is a great name for your hawk head...yep they are one of my favorite hookbills ever :D Thanks for the pics.

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:53 pm

Domenic wrote:They are all so beautiful! You have me =P~ over here. Do you know any places that I can find info on honeycreepers? They are so beautiful, I would love to know more about them.
Thank you. Not much out there, but here are a few links I have found~
http://www.articlesbase.com/nature-arti ... 66786.html

http://www.arthurgrosset.com/sabirds/re ... eeper.html

http://www.aspenleafaviaries.com/home/a ... eeper.html

http://www.lpzoo.org/factsheet.php?contentID=131

There are a few sound files, videos, and photos out there. Not a lot of articles. I did find a PDF file from a zoo that includes some info. They are not easy to find. Feathered wagon is who I got mine from. I fell in love with the male at a local bird show. Then I drove to Miami to pick up my female. I do know the price on them has been steadily increasing. On the softbill for sale site I recently saw someone selling a pair for $1500.00 I know they were going up, but I paid nowhere even close to that much.
Thanks Candace. :)
Last edited by waterfaller1 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Thank you! It says they can mix with Finches and other softbills, do you think this is true?
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:01 pm

Yes, the only worry I would have as such is they cannot have seed, or anything high in vit C or iron. They are prone to ISD{iron storage disease} I know of a man in Miami that keeps his mixed with finches in an aviary. I do not recommend mixing honeycreeper species. There are yellow legged..AKA purples, and green honeycreepers. The latter being the largest and most aggressive. That same person had a terrible experience mixing the green with his red legged's, and the green killed the red legged. The purples are stunning too. Smallest as well.
I also do not agree with some people who give them honey as a replacement for nectar. The nectar I use has a lot of good nutritious value, not just sugar. Some in the UK give cake soaked with honey. Some insects supposedly accepted are small mealworms and wingless fruitflies. I give mine bugs & berries{a mix} and an insect diet{dried bugs} for added protein.

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:56 pm

How sad that people care no more than that for their animals.
I hate hearing of things such as that.

Welcome to the forum and bless you for trying to help these little birds.

I have a pair of cubans and they are very sweet and lively little ones. I adore my pair!!
Donna