New to the site, need help with ID

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
Gawain1974
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: New to the site, need help with ID

Post by Gawain1974 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:39 pm

Carole, didn't we just talk on the phone last week about how much trouble you got into for trying to rescue another bird? ;) I don't blame you, I would have done the same thing. Hopefully the owners will start taking better care of their critters. It seems with the current economy, more and more pets are being abandoned--that's how I ended up with my second cat and mutant clownfish.

You can post pics using just the IMG tag brackets just like we do on Reefmonkey--the board will automatically shrink them down to fit in the frame, and then they will blow up to full size when you click on them.

The honeycreepers are just beautiful! How's Sheba doing? She's my favorite bird in your collection. :)

I'm glad you found this site, everyone here has been very helpful and patient with me. Everyone meet Carole--the craziest bird and fish lady I've ever met! (said with love, of course) :D
Les

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks Les. Well, it's a bit different to drive across town to a strangers house than if they are starving and right in front of you. :shock: Thanks for the pic tips. Sheba{B&G macaw} is doing great. Still her sassy ornery self. Holly{RFM} has her beat now for sassyness. I am hoping it's an adolescent phase. :mrgreen:

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:40 pm

here's Sheba

Holly

And we cannot forget Kismet, my dog found him in the backyard 8)

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Wow - beautiful birds you have, every one of them! =D>
Liz

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:04 pm

You have such a great collection, I can tell just by looking at them that they are very well taken care of.

I'm extremely upset that you didn't get to keep the cubans. It sounds like they desperately needed you. :( It also makes me so angry how those people were so adamant to get their birds back, but could care less if they died on their porch. :x :x :x
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:54 am

Thank you Liz & Domenic. Yes, it still makes me wonder. If they cared at all, then why did they leave them outside with little to no food or water, for that many days, exposed to the elements. Why couldn't they just take them then, when they left?{The cages were not big} :(

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:15 pm

You have beautiful birds!! =D> =D>

The honeycreepers are just adorable!! I think I have to investigate... =P~ (I'll soon need a second aviary... :mrgreen: )
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Thank you Ursula. They are awesome little birds. 8)

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:12 am

L in Ontario wrote:You have a 'mousebird'? I think maybe Tiffany (aka Nixity) on this forum has a mousebird named Critter???
Does this person post much?

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:09 pm

waterfaller1 wrote:
L in Ontario wrote:You have a 'mousebird'? I think maybe Tiffany (aka Nixity) on this forum has a mousebird named Critter???
Does this person post much?

Her avatar name is nixity, here is 1 post
http://finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... ird#p77598

you can use the search feather to find the others of her baby "critter" as it grows up.

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Tiffany is having computer problems - so she might not see the posts as quickly as she normally would.

I will forward her a copy of this thread to her phone.

BTW - absolutely gorgeous birds!!! They are stunning! =D>

I have a question about the Honeycreepers - aren't those the birds that need access to nectar - or whatever it is called - I know it is super sticky! How do you keep them and their cage clean?

I had a pair of Tanagers and I had to get rid of them because of the stickiness every where. Is there a trick to it?
Last edited by MLaRue on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:15 pm

Thank you Candace & Misty. I don't find cleaning their cage any different than other birds really. Their poop tends to hit the cage more than some other birds, but I use a spray bottle, add white vinegar, and warm water. Spray and wipe with paper towels. I do it at least three times a week, that way it is never too bad. I pull their perches and wash them often too. No difference than finches or canaries really. They wipe their beaks too, you just don't see it as much. I give them Avico nectar. I mix one tblspn to 3 tblspn water in a plastic baggie. I run warm water on the outside of the bag, and that helps me get it dissolved. Then pour it into a little votive cup or souflle'. They drink it like a hummingbird. The messier part is the fresh fruit, that makes their poop a bit messier, but it stays pretty much in the cage. Not as bad as a lorikeet or other fruit eater.

FinchDegg
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by FinchDegg » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Wow, ive never seen these birds before, cochise looks gorgeous and as for mr jeepers,,,, it looks like you have painted him that deep blue, beautiful :) :) :)
2 Crystal White Zebs,2 Fawn Zebs,1 Pied Zeb, 2 Societies,1 Shafttail, 6 Zeb Eggs Incubating

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks for the compliments. I have always loved Hawkheads just from reading about them. They are very unique. I was surprised to see how small they really are. Cochise was in a very bad situation when I found him. In just under a year, we have conquered most of his fears, made great strides, and now we adore each other. :D Mr Jeepers...well that is what I saw too when I first saw him. I was so taken back by his difference in appearance{the long beak, the energy} and of course his colors are amazing. They had blacklights over all the birds, so they just shined. He is the first and only bird I ever brought home without knowing a thing about their care. Something I would usually not even consider. I am glad I did, they are both delightful. Albeit a bit more work than the average bird.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:48 pm

If I ever get another large bird it would probably be a hawkhead. At the pet store we had one come in and it stayed around for a good while before someone bought him. I think they are so beautiful and unique looking.
Does yours talk?