New to the site, need help with ID

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Re: New to the site, need help with ID

Post by MLaRue » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:06 pm

You know I'm not much of a "parrot" person but your Cochise has sparked something :shock: I really like him - the pattern and colors are gorgeous!

Are they good talkers? What are the negative and positives to this species?

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:31 pm

Misty, I see you too are smitten with the hawkheads. The one at the pet store was such a character that I came close to taking him home on more than one occaiasion.
The only reason I don't have one is that I feel that most of the parrots, amazons, greys, or conures, etc. are more like owning a dog. They need a lot of interaction with the owner to be happy... unless you just have a wild pair in an outdoor aviary. Unlike our finches that as long as they have a nice clean enviroment, company of thier own kind, food and fresh water they are happy. They really don't have the need to be scratched, talked too, interacted with like a hookbill bird. I just don't have the time these days to give a hawk a good home. But maybe in the future..... :wink:

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:49 pm

The only other one I would consider is the African Gray because they talk so well. My family has been pushing for a parrot for a long time and that is why I think my three handfeds are so tame still because of all the interaction they have from our family.

Are they screamers or prone to be? Like a conure :shock: or even Lovebirds - gosh they are so pretty and cute but some are so so LOUD!

The Hawkheads are so expensive - more than the Grays now :shock:

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:33 pm

Hawkheads do talk but not like an afican grey. They can be loud...sounds like a seagull call :?

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:46 pm

The idea of a big parrot is very appealing! However, what concerns me is the fact that if I got a young parrot now he/she would (hopefully!) outlive me by many years... :shock: And I don't want anybody to have to worry about that when I'm gone.

A major other thing is what you said, Cindy, that they need as much - if not more! - attention than a dog. My brother in law had a cockatoo for years but had to end up giving him to a rescue because the bird got more and more demanding of attention, the older he got. He was jealous of all other pets (2 dogs and a cat at that time) and didn't like to be left alone more than a few hours. My brother in law also had medical issues and couldn't spend as much time with the bird as he used to. He just couldn't handle him anymore and had to find him a good place. The bird lives now somewhere in Florida in a place with many other parrots and is hopefully happy there...
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

1of42
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by 1of42 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:10 pm

The honeycreepers are beautiful! Do you ever have problems with ants, or do you just clean it in time so that the ants can't find the leftovers?
My flock:
  • Snow, white ringneck dove
  • Oliver & Laurel, green parrotlets

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:02 pm

MLaRue wrote:You know I'm not much of a "parrot" person but your Cochise has sparked something :shock: I really like him - the pattern and colors are gorgeous!

Are they good talkers? What are the negative and positives to this species?
Cochise is charming, sweet, very smart, aware of everything. He is not a great talker, but we are trying. He knows every whistle there is though, and says huh? I know a few that talk, and one that talks quite well. As with all parrots, they can be loud, but it's not a constant thing like with conures. Nor are they as needy of your time as a macaw or cockatoo. They are content to play, much of the day, hang upside down, terrorize shreddables, and eat small meals, relishing fresh fruit, veggie, and birdy bread time. He loves to bathe in his bowl, and look out the window.
They are not nearly as messy as some other parrots.

The negative, they are pricey, and need a macaw sized cage. They are very active, hence the need for a large cage. I suggest if you are truly interested in them, do some research and come and talk to other HH owners. They are very special, and everyone I have ever found adores their's. In my opinion this is a bird that should not be clipped.
Last edited by waterfaller1 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:06 pm

1of42 wrote:The honeycreepers are beautiful! Do you ever have problems with ants, or do you just clean it in time so that the ants can't find the leftovers?
Thank you! No problem with bugs as I have my home perimeter sprayed. I got ants marching into the bird room once, I quickly got rid of them by placing a line of borax across the threshold. I do keep all my cages very clean with warm water, white vinegar, and fresh paper daily or every other day at the most.