New to the site, need help with ID

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

New to the site, need help with ID

Post by waterfaller1 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Hello, my name is Carole.
I just rescued a couple finches that were left for at least 4 days, outside, with no food or water, in 30 & 40 degree weather. :( These are unusual finches. If I get some pics, can you help with an ID to start? The female is blind in one eye, from what I can tell. The male does not look too bad, considering... :roll:

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Re: New to the site, need help with ID

Post by L in Ontario » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:35 pm

We'd love to help out Carole - do post pics when you can and good luck with those finches!!

Also WELCOME and if you fill in your location in your Profile - it will help get answers specific to your area.

Thank you for helping those little birds - can't wait to see pics of them! =D>
Liz

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:52 pm

Thank you. My camera battery is down, so I put it on the charger. It will be a bit before I can get pics. Here is a description for now.{I have other birds too, will tell you about them later.I am supposed to be working..lol :oops: }
The female is drab, except a little yellow under the chin. They are smaller than say.. zebras. The male has a rounded appearance to the belly, the tail flanges out a little. He has a black face, underlined by a sash of bright yellow from under the black to mid belly. The rest of the belly is a greyish/light brown. The back is olive/yellowish.
Each bird is in a Brazilian style cage.

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:13 pm

Welcome to the forum you might check this link it shows some finches and a lot of info
http://www.finchinfo.com/birds/finches/ ... /index.php
Bill

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:21 pm

It's hard to form a picture from a description but it sounds like it may possibly be cuban melodious finches? The chances of you stumbling upon a pair of those are highly unlikely(depending on where you live, they can go for $500 a pair in the US), but your description is almost exactly parallel to them. Here are some pics:

Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Welcome! :-)

Domenic, I thought about the cuban melodious finch too, but aren't they bigger than zebra finches? (I've never actually seen a real one though, only pictures.)
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:30 pm

Ursula wrote:Welcome! :-)

Domenic, I thought about the cuban melodious finch too, but aren't they bigger than zebra finches? (I've never actually seen a real one though, only pictures.)

Actually no, they are pretty tiny in person! I saw a pair at the last bird fair here in town. They are striking little things. Unfortunately they were placed next to orange weavers in breeding plumage, and if you have ever seen those in person you know that even gouldians will be overshadowed by their brilliance.
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:32 pm

Cuban finches are smaller than Zebras - I've seen a few pairs in person. If they are Cubans - I'm sooo jealous! WOW, would be great. And if they aren't Cubans - I'm sooo jealous anyway! :lol: =D>

Come back and ease our curiosity Carole! [-o<

PS - I am working too (or supposed to be). 8)
Liz

FinchDegg
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by FinchDegg » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Welcome, you have come to right place :)
2 Crystal White Zebs,2 Fawn Zebs,1 Pied Zeb, 2 Societies,1 Shafttail, 6 Zeb Eggs Incubating

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:32 am

Domenic wrote:It's hard to form a picture from a description but it sounds like it may possibly be cuban melodious finches? The chances of you stumbling upon a pair of those are highly unlikely(depending on where you live, they can go for $500 a pair in the US), but your description is almost exactly parallel to them. Here are some pics:

[ http://www.finchinfo.com/images/species/trading_cuban.jpg ]
[ http://www.finchinfo.com/images/species/sexing_cubans.jpg ]
[ http://www.finchinfo.com/images/species/cuban2.jpg ]
That was exactly what the male looked like. The hen looks a bit different, but she was in such poor shape. Sadly I had to turn them back over to the previous owners. They had been left for five days on a porch. When I found them they had no food, water, nothing covering the bottom of their cages. :( The people returned yesterday. The new people moving into the house told them I had taken them. They came and threatened to call the police. I had a hard time turning them back over to people who obviously just kept them as ornaments, but did not want the trouble. And as well, people can be vengeful. I thank you all for the welcome and help. I live in Florida.

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:41 am

That's a shame you weren't able to keep the finches, but I believe you can report them for neglecting animals. That's not right that they can leave them out in those conditions.
Liz

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:26 am

I live in Florida also and yes do report the conditions the birds were left in to a animal control officer. If you call the local poloce department they can direct you who to go to. It is inhumane to not provide food and water and shelter from the cold. Where I am from they have a very low tolerance for people that do this.

Thank goodness for you at least you gave them warmth and food for a bit.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:33 am

Thanks again. I live in central Fl too, and did report it to OCAS. They never came out, and since the people are gone, there is no way to know where they went. I called back to tell them they had finally come and picked up their dogs, and their birds. I have no clue who they were, or where they went. They were only next door renting a couple months.
On a lighter note, I do not exactly have finches, but have some birds which might interest some of you.
My softbills are~ a pair of Red Legged Honeycreepers, an American singer canary-male, and a male blue naped mousebird. My parrots are a fem B&G macaw, a fem red fronted macaw, and a male hawkheaded parrot. :)

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:37 am

Welcome, fellow bird lover. They left their dogs also...my word.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

waterfaller1
Pip
Pip

Post by waterfaller1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:39 am

Yes, sickening isn't it? What are the rules for posting pics here?Size limit?