Air in Crop - chick about 7 days old - help?!

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
florenceinitaly
Pip
Pip

Air in Crop - chick about 7 days old - help?!

Post by florenceinitaly » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and in search of some advice from breeders. I have a 7 day old zebra finch chick which seems to be having problems with air in his crop. (see picture).

Other than taking up a lot of room in his crop the air doesn't seem to have any other adverse effect. He is digesting and pooping fine, crop is emptying about every 2 or 3 hours, and he is actively begging for food and moving around. I noticed the air bubble has increased in size over the past 2 days, and is more obvious right after a meal.

I have read online that air in crop could be a sign of a more serious issue, or it could just be "normal", any idea if i should be concerned at all? I don't watn to try and fix something that's not broken, if he's going to be fine I'd rather leave him alone.

Any ideas?
Attachments
DSC04755 (Large).JPG

annague
Proven
Proven

Re: Air in Crop - chick about 7 days old - help?!

Post by annague » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:24 pm

I'll be happy to share what I have learned so far: it's better not to interfere with finch babies unless it's a life or death situation -- if its doing fine leave it alone. Crops are very elastic on the babies.

Now, if you wanted to (very gently) hold the baby and press (very gently) on its crop until it "burps" I have done this and it does expel air in the crop -- but I wouldn't burp the baby if he's doing fine without it. :)
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

florenceinitaly
Pip
Pip

Post by florenceinitaly » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:26 pm

thanks for the reply. I just tried the "burping" method, but no luck...air is still there. I didn't want to push it too far and risk suffocating him or hurting his crop. Maybe its best to leave him alone, as long as he's digesting and pooping. =|

It just looks extremely uncomfortable to me...and that space could be used to put more food for nutrients rather than air!

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:06 am

Whenyou burp the finch it is best to do itwhen he is begging. I have done it with handfeds. Sometimes they beg faster than I can stuff and they inhale a lot of air. I never try and burp the babies with the parents. It will go down on it's own. Don't be surprized if it happens again...some finches just gulp with the worst table manners :D

The bubbles you read about that are harmful is many little bubbles like fermintation bubbles. Then it is a sign that the food in the crop is not moving, yeast, bacteria infections can happen quickly so action must be taken. The picture of yours simply looks like inhaled air and no concern.

CaliforniaZebraFinch
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by CaliforniaZebraFinch » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:47 am

Congrats! :mrgreen:
A pair of Zebra finch. Male is Penguin and Female is Pied.

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:38 am

CandoAviary wrote:...some finches just gulp with the worst table manners :D
LOL! :lol: :lol:

Candace is right - if the bubble goes away on its own (even if it reappears when he's fed the following day) I wouldn't consider it a cause for worry. It's probably just an enthusiastic eater/beggar.
I've never tried to burp a baby bird, that is so funny!

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:46 am

I don't have as much handfeeding experience as some of those above, but I agree that the bubble is perfectly harmless and it would be safe to leave it be. :D
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:04 am

Like Candace.... the only time that I have ever expelled air from a baby is while handfeeding. Our hands never seem to be as quick as they would like. He appears to be growing fine and very healthy. He is just gulping air while he is begging. Congrats.
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

florenceinitaly
Pip
Pip

Post by florenceinitaly » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:52 am

Hi everyone, thanks for the encouraging replies!! Good to know the chick isn't suffering from anything serious...he is a very enthusiastic beggar! It is my first time hand feeding finches so I do go slow, trying to keep the food warm all the time lol.

he is very cute and has his picture taken everyday, will keep you posted on his growth!

good luck to those who are also handfeeding! It is a wonderful experience.

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:47 pm

Yes it is. I am currently handfeeding a little BlueCap Cordon Bleu -- I've called her Gumdrop. She is so loving and cute -- I talk to her all the time and she has started "talking" back to me -- just little constant chirps while I am talking to her and she loves to sit on my shoulder and go around with me while I work on the house. She's a wonderful little bird. :)
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

florenceinitaly
Pip
Pip

Post by florenceinitaly » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:29 pm

lol they're so full of personality!!

So I've read that its suggested to feed the chicks pedialyte (an electrolyte supplement for babies) during the first few days of their lives - but it says to stop about after 3 days...why is this? I don't see any negative impacts in continuing to mix pedialyte into their food...its' just sodium/potassium, is there something I should be aware of??

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:53 pm

I don't think it would be harmful, rather it is just no longer necessary after the first few days.
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

OliwiaMoriarti
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by OliwiaMoriarti » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:11 am

Oof, I was starting to get worried. My 2 day-old has gotten one today. I've checked on him a few minutes ago though, and I think he actually just burped up a good part of the bubble. Good luck to all hand feeding! <3
I have two zebra finches; Mouschi, and his girlfriend, Kim.

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:44 pm

The experts say that air in the crop is caused by a thrush infection (fungal infection). I have learned that it is the best to leave the chicks with air in the crop alone. A vet told me to treat the chicks with Nystatin, but the chicks subsequently died. It seems to me that it is a chemical reaction within the food in the crop that produces the gas. I have noticed that some gouldian pairs always have chicks with air in the crops and others don't. So maybe it is transferred by the parents to the chicks.
Marius