Egg Candling with pictures

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
mahfuz alam
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by mahfuz alam » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:58 am

Thanks for sharing great pic and information.
finch lover:Gouldian finch ,zebras, societies, spice finch, Indian silver bill, bronze winged manikin, red strawberries, green strawberries, tri color manikin, black head manikin., shaft tail finch,Star finch,Parson finch normal gray java, white java.
other birds;Ring neck dove,Diamond dove

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:08 am

I've candled many eggs now, and everytime those bubbles are present I consider the egg a loss. I've never had a success with an egg like that, hence the name I dubbed, "deadly bubbles." :lol:
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

ikhom
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by ikhom » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:55 am

Thanks Domenic,
It is nice to have a conformation.
"deadly bubbles" sounds perfect. :lol:
Manage your birds at finchbreederdatabase.com

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:29 am

Glad I am not the only one to have "deadly bubbles". I just came across some in one of my zebras nests. Lately they have been laying duds and so I checked a few and 3 had these weird bubbles in them. I was about to ask what they were, but checked the forum first and well I see now others have them too.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. It sure does help when one is trouble shooting new experiences.
Sorry my pic is not that great but you get the general idea.
Attachments
bubble egg1.jpg
bubble egg1.jpg (83.11 KiB) Viewed 6351 times

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:11 am

Although the air cell usually forms in the large end of the egg, it occasionally moves freely toward the uppermost point of the egg as the egg is rotated. It is then called a free or floating air cell. If the main air cell ruptures, resulting in one or more small separate air bubbles floating beneath the main air cell, it is known as a bubbly air cell.

These eggs are able to hatch though they may be delayed a little from what I've read.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

ikhom
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by ikhom » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:57 pm

Monique it is a great picture. It just proves that it is a common problem.

Thanks Debbie for the interesting information. Do you know if the broken air cell increases chances of developing health problem in the chick? And if yes, I would rather consider discarding these eggs. Last year I had an egg with air cell on the wrong end and the chick was born with health problems and died several days after. I would like to know if it is a single case or a rule?

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:43 am

debbie276 wrote: These eggs are able to hatch though they may be delayed a little from what I've read.
I hope to have one hatch for me in the future. Whenever I come across these eggs during candling, I find them unhatched in the nest after all the other eggs have hatched. Usually they are infertile or very early DIS if I remember correctly.
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:50 am

Interesting. Well I marked my eggs and will see what the outcome will be. I think only one looked fertile anyhow. My zebbies are now getting on in years and have not had a decent clutch for over a year now.

agunnells1
Pip
Pip

Post by agunnells1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Ok so let me get this straight. The eggs my finches just laid are kind of an orange color with a white spot at one end, does that mean they are fertile? I'm new at this sorry for all the questions!

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:50 pm

White spot is an air sac. When you say orange do you mean when you put a light up to them or when you look at them in plain lighting? When putting up a light to them you should be able to see red veins, if there are none the eggs are infertile or not old enough to candle. 5 days is the proper age.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:51 pm

I have heard of the bubbled egg sac and free floating air sac and was told that it was caused from trauma of the egg.I also was told that it is more common in incubated eggs as opposed to natural reared eggs. Is this true Debbie? I have never seen one in person though I don't candle my eggs normally.

grassland09
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by grassland09 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:37 am

Greatly appreciated the invaluable information that you have provided =D> =D> =D>

I saw in one of the threads that from the negative photo the black spot tell the fertility of the egg that Janine and you have mentioned on. Maybe can add to this thread as a whole.
Serinus Atrogularis & Serinus Mennelli & Forpus Coelestis.

Wish List: Psittinus cyanurus.

ikhom
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by ikhom » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:32 pm

grassland09 wrote:I saw in one of the threads that from the negative photo the black spot tell the fertility of the egg that Janine and you have mentioned on. Maybe can add to this thread as a whole.
I actually argued this point. I believe that the spot is the only reflection of the light (flash) from the shinny egg surface and has nothing to do with the embryo inside. However, it could be the part of the truth because the fertile egg after several days of incubation changes color. The egg becomes whiter and at the same time the infertile egg stays the same or actually becomes more yellow. It could be partially responsible for the bigger reflection of the light from the fertile egg than from the infertile and therefore bigger dark spot in the negative.
Look at the picture bellow. It shows the nest with the eggs. It was taken with webcam, so the conditions of the light were the same on each image and flash wasn't used. It is what a human eyes see when we check the nest. First shot was made when the eggs were fresh and the last after over a week of incubation. I didn't candle the eggs, but by the look I can say that they all (two) are fertile because they are much whiter then before.
Eggs after different time of incubation.
Eggs after different time of incubation.
P.S. Check for the latest picture from that nest by clicking on the webcam in my signature and then gallery.

grassland09
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by grassland09 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:47 am

ikhom wrote:
grassland09 wrote:I saw in one of the threads that from the negative photo the black spot tell the fertility of the egg that Janine and you have mentioned on. Maybe can add to this thread as a whole.
I actually argued this point. I believe that the spot is the only reflection of the light (flash) from the shinny egg surface and has nothing to do with the embryo inside. However, it could be the part of the truth because the fertile egg after several days of incubation changes color. The egg becomes whiter and at the same time the infertile egg stays the same or actually becomes more yellow. It could be partially responsible for the bigger reflection of the light from the fertile egg than from the infertile and therefore bigger dark spot in the negative.
Look at the picture bellow. It shows the nest with the eggs. It was taken with webcam, so the conditions of the light were the same on each image and flash wasn't used. It is what a human eyes see when we check the nest. First shot was made when the eggs were fresh and the last after over a week of incubation. I didn't candle the eggs, but by the look I can say that they all (two) are fertile because they are much whiter then before.
birds.jpg
P.S. Check for the latest picture from that nest by clicking on the webcam in my signature and then gallery.
ikhom, thanks for the attached pics.

I fully agreed on the whitening part due to development. Initially, when i saw the 1st negative pictures within that thread... its a wow can see the sperm cell development within... how stupid my 1st thought was :oops: :D . That spot of reflection of flash/light, i strongly believed is due to the embryo developing as it produced a layer of oil or moisture to protect it from bacteria.

Below link is a short 5s vids taken early this morning around 8plus, sorry it not that clear but that's the best my nest-cam can do. I am using a nest-cam that will turn black/white where the area is having insufficient light. Actually all three eggs have the reflective spot, when i was going to record it the morning sunshine came in, only the right egg shows the clear point of reflection (slightly blueish). Today is the 11th day counting from the 1st egg layed.

This method might caused discrepancies due to different type of cam used, hopefully it works for me :wink: . Btw, the speckled egg within your attached pic was the last egg layed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRHTSxm_1uU
Serinus Atrogularis & Serinus Mennelli & Forpus Coelestis.

Wish List: Psittinus cyanurus.

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:25 pm

Two of the eggs in ikhoms pics actually look plastic to me? Are those real eggs or fake?