Air Sac Mites

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: Air Sac Mites

Post by birdclaws » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:10 am

So the clicking sounds lessened after completing the S76 treatment, and a drop of scatt. But today I'm hearing the sound again. So I've completed 3 weeks of s76 and one dose of Scatt, is there something else wrong here? I would imagine the clicking sound would go away by now... if it were dead mites being released?

If this clicking sound is still there, does it seem more likely that the treatment wasn't effective, or that something else is wrong that I should treat for?

The hen is now sitting on eggs, so if anyone has any breeding safe suggestions that would be great.
Brian

Gouldians, Java Sparrows, Cape Doves

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:34 am

Are there any other symptoms other then a clicking sound? How often do you hear clicking? There are times when they may click a seed hull in their mouths and it has nothing to do with illness. Is it possible that's what your hearing?
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:45 am

The clicking sounds usually come when she leaves the nest to stretch and fly a bit. She's very alert and active and not showing any obvious signs of illness. I am positive that the licking is not from seed chewing.

I tried to take a video, but she is camera shy.
Brian

Brette
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Brette » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:23 pm

I haven't read the whole thread so someone may have mentioend this but after the application of Scatt, the mites don't go away immediately. It can take up to a few weeks to stop hearing the clicking and even then you may need to re-apply again.

It has always worked for my birds, thank goodness.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:32 pm

It's my understanding that the bird with ASM will improve within 48 hours of treatment. This Is part of Laraines article on the Ladygouldian.com site http://ladygouldian.com/node/171

If the symptoms disappear within 48 hours, you will know that the problem was simply an increase in numbers of adult air-sac mites due to a stressful situation your bird may be experiencing, such as breeding or molting. If the symptoms disappear, I would recommend reassessing the treatment schedule that you have been using to keep air-sac mites under control, or possibly setting up a rotating system with Scatt and S76.
If the symptoms do not subside within 48 hours, then your birds have one of 3 types of respiratory infection…BACTERIAL, FUNGAL or PROTOZOA. Each type of infection is caused by a different organism and each type of infection will require a different medication.
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

Brette
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Brette » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:57 pm

Hmm that's interesting. I've definetely seen improvements in my birds within 48 hours after theyve received the Scatt but a few have had laboured breathing for a week or 2 afterwards. I think they were heavily infested. Happily even those made a full recovery.

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:30 am

To update my last posts on here - The clicking went away. It must've been the stress of laying eggs that may have made some symptoms appear. I will continue doing s76 and scatt treatment throughout the year as a preventative, like most people do.
Brian

Cath1068
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Cath1068 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:33 pm

I love scatt. My goulds got puffed again recently and my WB hen was tail bobbing and I dosed everyone with scatt and within 48 hours she was bright eyed and happy so I will re-treat in 21 days. She started laying eggs just before she got puffy again so it must have been that that caused the number to go up. I use the s76 on my BCCB's cuz they are so tiny and hard to catch and it seems to work ok.

Cathy

hidi00z
Pip
Pip

Post by hidi00z » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:53 am

I'm still having problems with my zebra chick. Also, she have some of the symptoms presented here. I bought a 2oz. of Ivomec but I need to know what should be the exact dose?

RC#1
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by RC#1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:43 pm

Would a preventative Air-Sac Mite treatment be advised even if your birds are not showing the obvious symptoms?
RC#1

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:01 pm

There are no obvious symptoms of ASM, ASM symptoms can also be many other illnesses. I only Scatt any new birds during quarantine though there are many that treat routinely through the year. It's a personal choice depending on your comfort level.
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

fpt
Pip
Pip

Post by fpt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:52 am

Where can I source SCATT in Calgary? Thanks

fpt
Pip
Pip

Post by fpt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:55 am

Where those Air Sac Mites come from? How do you prevent it to accumulate? (I guess clean surrounding).

pmorris1

Post by pmorris1 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:55 pm

I have 8 adult society finches and 6 babies. One of the adults got sick and was breathing weird a couple of weeks ago. So I used Ornacyn for 5 days as recomended and the cold went away. Now I have one of my other adults acting the same way. Is it ok to use Ornacyn so soon again? My babies have never been sick before. And I noticed to day my oldest bird (8) has been landing pretty hard on the ground of their cage. And I noticed it looks like she has been loosing her footing. Her wings are lower at her side too. And suggestions would greatly help.

cjkrit
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by cjkrit » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:06 am

A product VIRBAMAX FIRST DRENCH available here in South Africa contains Abamectin [0.8%] and also Praziquintel [1.5%].
How much shall I use per litre of water to deworm and also for the air sac mite.
2 Weeks ago I used it at 15ml/litre and today again.
Still a lot of clicking amongst my Gouldians- I suspect a heavy infestation.
Any other advice will be appreciated.
Christo Kritzinger
Burgersdorp
South Africa