Detailed Handfeeding for Newbies

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
ranchnanny
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Detailed Handfeeding for Newbies

Post by ranchnanny » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Currently I am hand feeding a Gouldian chick that was tossed from the nest 3 times. I started feeding this chick on Jan. 12th and feel it was about 10+days old. I am feeding it Lafebers Baby Bird Formula and it is doing very well. My only concern right now is what do I do when it gets older and can get out of the brooder? Do I put it in a nest in a cage by itself and continue to hand feed?
I banded it today and all it wanted to do was flap its wings.

HELP!
Sherry

Canary
4 Parakeets
3 Schnauzers Archie Joey Tucker

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:01 pm

When they are old enough to leave the brooder I put any hand feds in the aviary with the other gouldians for the day. They learn to eat, drink and take a bath from the others. At night I take them out and put them back into a cage. Once they perch and fly very well I leave them in the aviary and hand feed till weaned. As soon as they see me they come flying in. :wink:
Good luck
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

ranchnanny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by ranchnanny » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm

Debbie do you put a nest in there for them? I assume that I should put them on low perches. I am just afraid it will get picked on. What about putting them
in a cage with my society pair and fledglings?
Sherry

Canary
4 Parakeets

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:17 pm

I don't change anything in my aviary, there are nest boxes but I wouldn't expect them to use them and I only have high perches. I would just put them on the floor of the cage and let them explore. When they are strong enough they will fly up to a perch. I would watch and make sure no one is picking on them but that has never been a problem for me. They should be put in with other gouldians as first preference.
I would never recommend putting gouldians in with society's unless you are POSITIVE they are not carriers of Campylobacter and Cochlosoma.
Last edited by debbie276 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

ranchnanny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by ranchnanny » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:18 pm

what about in a cage with Gouldian Hens?
Sherry

Canary
4 Parakeets

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:21 pm

what about in a cage with Gouldian Hens?
Perfectly fine.
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:10 am

With my handfeds, they go into a small cage when they first start wanting to fledge. As Debbie said, they still look to you for food, so will come right to you. I let mine out, and then walk across the room and sit down to feed them. They fly to me, and this gives them some good exercise for those new muscles. When they wean themselves, and don't want to come to me any more, they are moved into any cage where I can put them with their own species--either a juvenile cage, or if no other juveniles, with hens. This way, they learn to be what they are supposed to be. They won't stay tame, but some always remember you (none of my waxbills have :( ). Or sometimes I move them into a cage with their own species (either juvies or hens) before they wean, they will still fly to the door of the cage to be fed.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:41 pm

Sally
Why do you move the juvs in with the hens?

I move my newly separated juvs into the male community cage. My logic was the boys will learn how to call and sing like a gouldian from the males, which they can't from the hens.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Gary, I just feel like sometimes the juvies are intimidated in the male cage, where the hens don't seem to bother them. They seem to learn to sing and call no matter what, though I did have a fostered BCCB once that sang like a cross between a BCCB and a Society! :lol: As soon as they show any signs of sexual maturity, they go into either bachelor or bachelorette cages.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:00 am

I should've read this before I started handfeeding. Well, my little guy has started eating and drinking all by himself, and has already forgotten me! He is staying in a cage in the birdroom, he had two other friends (his brother and a male FF) but they are now in the hen flight because they can fly much better. And Sally, I love the "bachelor and bachelorette" names for the cages. :lol:
Dante

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks Sally
That give me another alternative for placing my juvs.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

Peanut
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Peanut » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:27 pm

This is a great thread and all the experiences are wonderful to read.I wish I had found this site weeks ago but its great to find it now :) I have a hand reared little Zebra Finch called Noddy and he is 19/20days old today. I spoon fed him though from 3 days old when his mum and Dad abandoned him. I think I would be way too nervous to use a tooth pick or a syringe though :roll: :lol: Today I placed him in a small cage for a few hours for the first time, and I was really pleased with his progress, he even picked at some millet :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzYEeMgH ... el&list=UL

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Peanut, you are not alone! I was terrified the first few times I tried to feed a tiny waxbill baby (the first ones I fed were Cordon Bleu babies which are tiny). I had to go very slow and keep trying -- But I had to also do it a lot before I became more comfortable. :wink:
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

Peanut
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Peanut » Tue May 01, 2012 8:44 am

annague wrote:Peanut, you are not alone! I was terrified the first few times I tried to feed a tiny waxbill baby (the first ones I fed were Cordon Bleu babies which are tiny). I had to go very slow and keep trying -- But I had to also do it a lot before I became more comfortable. :wink:
Thanks Anna :)

nofred
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by nofred » Sun May 27, 2012 10:40 pm

Agreed. Great thread! I learned a lot. I just wanted to post another note on the subject. I have been through a couple of broods now and what I have noticed with my Zebs is a slow start to the feeding process. I started hand feeding a bit for the first couple of days and it seems to give the chicks a better start on life. I also noticed that a white chick gets fed less if hatched with normal greys. I'm not sure if the parents don't think it is well or what, but I just keep feeding until it fledges!
Norwood
21-Normal Grey Zebras, 2-Fawn Zebras, 1-Fawn/Pied Zebra, 2-Society (self), 3-Society (chocolate pied), 2-Society (cream/pied), 1 Holy Terrier; 17 Goldfish, 2 Bullfrogs