Gouldian Genetics

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
waxbill lover

Re: Gouldian Genetics

Post by waxbill lover » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Question time! :shock:

I have a pair of goulds. The male is RH/bh/PB/GB. The female is YH/bh/PB/GB.

To date they have produced RH/PB/GB male and females, YH/WB/GB males, BH/PB/GB females, and BH/WB/GB females.
More recently they have produced a male YH/LB/GB. (Lilac breast)

My question is, is it possible for my pair to have genetics for White Breast, Purple Breast, and Lilac breast? Is that possible?

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:52 pm

Your male is PB split for WB and the hen must be LB split for WB if you are getting all 3 different breast colors from them.
Brian

Gouldians, Java Sparrows, Cape Doves

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:22 pm

Brian is right - unless your hen has come into contact with any other males then she must be Lilac/White in order for you to produce both Lilac and White breasted offspring.
Do you have any photos?

waxbill lover

Post by waxbill lover » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Thanks Brian and Tiffany.

Tiffany: The female and male are pictured here, in this post: http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22911

I'll have to try and take a picture of the one male juvenile I think is LB, next to one of his siblings who is a normal. There is an extreme noticeable difference in the hue of the purple... so much so that at first mistook him as a female, but his behavior and singing definitely makes him a female. :)

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:41 pm

Hmm yeah I'll have to see the juvenile because your hen definitely looks PB to me, not Lilac.

Has this pair been in their own cage for a long period of time or are they in a colony setting?

waxbill lover

Post by waxbill lover » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:39 pm

nixity wrote: Hmm yeah I'll have to see the juvenile because your hen definitely looks PB to me, not Lilac.

Has this pair been in their own cage for a long period of time or are they in a colony setting?
Yes, they have been in their own breeding cage. The only time my birds are in a colony setting is when the are on the off season. When they are placed in their breeding cage, I usually give them 3 weeks to a month to settle down in their new breeding cage before I add a nest box... So in theory, there shouldn't be any "residual" sperm the female is holding on to, if by chance a different breeding took place...

waxbill lover

Post by waxbill lover » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Tiffany,

Here is a photo (not a very good one, but shows the light breast color in comparison to a normal female, and a white bird in the background..) The male in question is the 2nd one in from the camera. BH female first, and then the little male. Zoom in and see what you think...
Attachments
Goulds.JPG

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:35 pm

It may just be a dirty white breast? :?

waxbill lover

Post by waxbill lover » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:09 pm

nixity
I don't know... He's got me baffled. He's like a very very light purple breasted bird...but not white, but not purple. (not mottled either) Its a lighter shade of purple than even normal female birds are... and a very contrasting difference tha the deep purple that normal males have.

Weird bird! Hopefully he molts out completely soon and I can take a picture of him in a cage with his dad, so you can get the real color of what he looks like...

Vera9999
Pip
Pip

Post by Vera9999 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:55 am

Dear breeders!

I have a new color version and want to know what color they are these birds? Lime-green seagreen version? The purple color shown in the next section, collar and tail feathers opal color, the blue throat. Italian breeders, help you find out what color. Thank you