Finches from the Finchfarm...Update

Share your favorite books and links here.
Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Finches from the Finchfarm...Update

Post by Sally » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:22 am

This is indeed sad. Temperature always has to be considered when shipping. One big advantage with airline shipping is that it normally is hours, not days, that the bird is in transit, but temperatures still need to be above freezing. And how awful for you to find a dead bird.

One reason that USPS gives for not allowing finches to be shipped is that technically there is not supposed to be any water in the shipping box. The cardboard box that many shippers use for USPS can come apart if it gets wet, so no water allowed. Finches cannot go two days without water, whereas the poultry that is allowed to be shipped can.

It sounds like someone took over a business with no idea of how to run it, and the birds and customers are paying the price. The multiple errors in your experience are not encouraging.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

birdclaws
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by birdclaws » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:33 am

What a nightmare. Sorry you had to be put through all of that Lisa...

I've never had birds shipped to me, but this situation is kind of what I had in the back of my mind happening.
I hope you're able to finally get your replacement bird.

I can't say that I would ever buy from finch farm after hearing your story.
Brian

Gouldians, Java Sparrows, Cape Doves

Ginene
Molting
Molting

Post by Ginene » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:34 pm

[quote="debbie276"]How they have handled all this is unacceptable, period, no excuses.

I agree wit Debbie 100%. Such a shame...

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:59 pm

Wow, I'm so sorry for the finch and you're experience! The company owners should not buy a finch business if they do NOT have any idea how to care for and ship finches! What a shame.
DEBORAH

finchfunaddict
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by finchfunaddict » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:13 pm

Success with the Finch farm. I got 4 beautiful Cordon Blues from the Finch Farm. They did indeed have some management problems when Jeff left them. Shirley has things up and running again. Horay! Be nice not to have to ship birds at all. They are so gorgeous. Thanks Shirely...
Lisa

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:37 am

When did Jeff leave? Though he was nice, he really did not seem to know much about birds. Glad it is back in the hands of someone who knows birds.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

Lisa
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Lisa » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:42 am

When did Jeff leave? Though he was nice, he really did not seem to know much about birds. Glad it is back in the hands of someone who knows birds.
Jeff left right around Feb 22 (I placed my order on the 23rd, not knowing anything had changed from all the great reviews I was seeing).

Shirley is the same woman I dealt with on my orders as what FinchFunAddict did. We both had rather stressful experiences concerning our orders - though hers has a bit of a happier ending. Our troubles at the Finch Farm were what started our friendship (at least one good thing came out of this mess - really nice lady & now I have another finch buddy!)

finchfunaddict
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by finchfunaddict » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:06 pm

I feel the same way my new friend. Hopefully shirley will come through for you, if you give her another chance. lisa L.
Lisa

asher78
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by asher78 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:30 pm

I know this is an old thread, but searched finchfarm and this popped up. I was wondering approx. what the ages are of birds that they sed out? Are they juveniles, adults, adults or breeding age or...?

Having the hardest time finding birds near me that I want and am seriously considering ordering some to be shipped in.
Keeper of 10 Zebra
6 Society
2 Lady Gouldian
4 Cordon Bleu's
2 Parrotlets
1 Betta & 3 Platy fish
Mom to 5 people ;)

Ginene
Molting
Molting

Post by Ginene » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:47 am

asher78
If you think you want to order from them, call Shirley first and speak to her. She is very nice and helpful. You can also ask which birds are wild caught and which ones they breed themselves. Best of luck to you in your search :) .

asher78
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by asher78 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:55 am

Thanks so much! :) The cordon bleus are really tempting me. I keep putting them in my cart. LOL
Keeper of 10 Zebra
6 Society
2 Lady Gouldian
4 Cordon Bleu's
2 Parrotlets
1 Betta & 3 Platy fish
Mom to 5 people ;)

Ginene
Molting
Molting

Post by Ginene » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:36 am

Yes...they are beautiful!!! And the male has a beautiful song too :) ! I had a pair of RCCB's that became aggressive toward my other finches when they were in breeding mode (even though I wasn't supplying a nest or nesting materials). They would dive bomb my Gouldians non stop, so they had to be housed alone. Keep this in mind when buying your new birds...even "passive" species can become aggressive when they want to breed. I have a naughty Blue Bap Cordon Bleu that is the "monkey wrench" in my bird room right now. He is so aggressive and goes after everyone. I guess he forgot to read the manual that says he is suppose to be a passive finch [-X

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:09 pm

I'm confused, where do purchased birds with this company get sent?

Different testiomonials have mentioned picking them up at an airport (how?), picking them up at a local post office, and having them delivered to their door...
~Dylan

~~~

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:27 pm

Sheather
Many companies that sell finches ship them via the airlines pet cargo service. You have to call the airlines and make a reservation and put the finches in an approved container that is well ventilated and holds water that won't spill and seed, millet and a perch. The container gets labeled "Live Birds" with the phone number and address to the new owner. Then, you pick them up at Delta or Continental Pet Cargo area at the airport. Not all airports or flights allow pet cargo, which is why you have to call and make a reservation.

As far as USPS is concerned, it still is illegal to mail live birds and it not always safe either. The finches could sit in a hot warehouse without any sunlight or temperature control for days. They may not be handles properly either. However, I know some members have received finches via the USPS and the process went smoothly too.
DEBORAH