Reviews of Bird Marts/Fairs/Shows

Toddmin
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Reviews of Bird Marts/Fairs/Shows

Post by Toddmin » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:26 pm

I went to the ATL show on Saturday. Laraine is almost always there, in the front corner. She and I spoke for quite a while. Sally, you are right, they normally have more hookbills and not as many finches.

The bird show on the south side of ATL is called Tim Vogle's Southeastern Exotic Bird Fair. Their next event is the 7th and 8th of June and admission is free. This is the link to their website: http://exoticbirdfair.com/ I have been several times, but it's not nearly as convenient as the one in Norcross.
- Todd

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Would it be worth our coming up from Florida to Atlanta to sell finches like societies, gouldians, zebra at that show?

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Toddmin
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Toddmin » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:53 pm

It depends. How many would you be selling? I bet you'd do fine here. I know one vendor from Greensboro, NC was there and also Floyd Barnett. Other than that, there were not a lot of vendors with a lot of finch selection.
- Todd

finchlyn
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by finchlyn » Fri May 02, 2014 1:11 pm

It is expensive to do a fair in Georgia. A friend and I thought about it but they require much more fees in Georgia than Florida. You have to have a GA agricultural license (quoted $200 They don't handle through the fish and wildlife there), health certificate on all birds from your vet or pay there vet fee at the fair. Pay their state tax. There were other expenses that I forget now... but we decided with the expense of acquiring all the legal requirements it just didn't justify the trip. And we had birds that sold for a lot more than societies and zebras. You can call the host of the fair and they will give you all this information. I have gone to shop, I enjoy any and all fairs for that, lol

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:15 pm

Wow, finchlyn, that makes Texas marts great! We typically have a good selection of finches and hookbills. There are usually several canary breeders too. We don't need a license nor pay state taxes, since Texas does not have state taxes.
DEBORAH

passiflorafinch
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by passiflorafinch » Tue May 27, 2014 4:09 pm

I can only speak about the Pomona Birdmart in March but is was really dismal as far as finches. There was only one vendor with Gouldians and I got the only good looking few (who still had to be treated aggressively for scaly face). There was a great selection of softbills and hookbills and some really rare canaries (Gibber Italicus etc.). I picked up some breeding boxes and other assorted supplies. It would have been great if you wanted a cage or two. I'm hoping the June one will be a bit better.

TheWhiteFinchAviary
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by TheWhiteFinchAviary » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Great thread!! I posted my detailed experiences at the 2014 WCZS Show held each year in Sacramento and put on by Roy @ eFinch. I also went to the 2014 AFA Convention and talked in detail about that also.

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30635

A brief synopsis - THEY WERE AWESOME. I will be back every year from now until I die. I made invaluable contacts at both events which has been the sole reason I'm expecting my Blues next week.

While we're on the topic - JOIN your local clubs! They have monthly meetings or will meet on a regular basis. They do shows and fairs, they have lots of finch people and breeders with vast knowledge/experience. If you don't have a finch focused group near you then join one that focuses on all aviculture. Chances are you will find finch lovers there for the same reason. OR you could join a national group like the NFSS (*nudge nudge*), AFA, or ASA.
ImageImageNFSS Editor

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:37 pm

We went to the Bird Show at the Camp Jordan Arena in East Ridge, TN (suburb of Chattanooga) two weeks ago. It was a nice sized show and a good entry price ($5 for adults, free to kids 12 and under). There were a lot of hookbills, but very few finches though. Some of the hookbills were gorgeous and very well priced. And one vendor had Sugar Gliders, which were a big hit with the kids! :)

Camp Jordan Events Calendar - East Ridge, TN