strainer lids for jars

Share your favorite books and links here.
Airlyn
Mature
Mature

strainer lids for jars

Post by Airlyn » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:41 pm

To make soaking seeds easier I found a strainer lid that fits wide mouth jars at
www.handypantry.com
One cost $4.95 and the shipping was about the same so I suggest ordering extras.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: strainer lids for jars

Post by Sally » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:19 pm

That's a good link, thanks. I'm cheap, so I made my own. I always have canning supplies on hand, so I just cut a piece of screening to fit a wide-mouth jar band and glued it in place. Works like a charm.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:10 am

Sally wrote: That's a good link, thanks. I'm cheap, so I made my own. I always have canning supplies on hand, so I just cut a piece of screening to fit a wide-mouth jar band and glued it in place. Works like a charm.
Same here
KarenB

finchandlovebird
Proven
Proven

Post by finchandlovebird » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:30 am

Good link; which sprouting seeds do you buy for your birds :?:
Dolly J

1 Canary
, 1 Parakeet
Raised Gouldians & Scarlet Chested Parakeets in past years

Airlyn
Mature
Mature

Post by Airlyn » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:53 am

I just got the lid there. I'm just starting the sprouting journey but decided on Herman's for my soaking mix. I tried them from somewhere else but only the big ones sprouted. lol
Maybe I didn't soak them long enough so trying again today but for longer.
I don't get out much so do all of my shopping online. It was just easier for me to just order a lid and thought I would share the link.

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Thank you for sharing, Airlyn :D

I have considered ordering their jars/lids in the past. Seems like a good company. I just never did order.
KarenB

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:02 pm

I love Hermann's mixes, the shipping just got too expensive for me. I have also used the Save the Gouldian mixes (black and white), and those were fabulous, but they have not been available for some time. I'm hoping someone starts offering them again.

For those interested in sprouting, that link is a great place to start, as they have many mixes for humans on their site.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Smurf
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Smurf » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:21 pm

I find easiest way to soak seeds is to use a stainless steel sieve and a bowl just big enough to hold water/virkon-s + sieve, this way it's easy to rinse, soak and drain the seeds. I then divide the seeds once ready into portions in plastic containers which i freeze.
Padraic

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:22 am

Airlyn Not sure what kind of birds you have, but I order from her: http://www.glamgouldians.com/product-terrisprout.php and my birds LOVE it, there is also an Abba Soak seed mix that has much bigger seeds (too big for my Zebras) Just to let you know. She's fabulous... very helpful. sally WHAT a GREAT idea. I ALWAYS lose so much seed when I'm doing mine because my birds are so small, the seeds I'm sprouting are small too, so any regular kitchen strainer a lot of the really small seeds fall through. But I am SO gunna go and buy a little piece of screen and try that...so simple, but BRILLIANT!!!! I've already got some sitting in the freezer, but with 4 fledges on the way... I'll be needing more I'm sure!!! OH and one more thing. Airlyn check on the wonderful Mike Fidler i go by this video, and Virkon S is Fabulous... Mike is the sprouting Guru!!!
http://www.glamgouldians.com/shop-birdsrus.php

Smurf
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Smurf » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:57 pm

All i use is a stainless steel sieve which i sit in a bowl of water/virkon-s, very simply and easy for both initial rinsing and straining
Padraic

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:10 pm

Smurf

I do that to Padraic :-)
How long does it usually take your seeds to pop, and do you use cold or hot water go rinse them?

Elana
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Smurf
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Smurf » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:10 am

lovezebs , i use cold water, timewise it varies alot depending on temperature, summer seems to have missed us here :( so taking nearly 36 hours before a batch of chitted seed is ready, 24 hours soaking in virkon-s+water and about 10 hours draining. The finished softfood is then divided into portions and put in freezer for when needed.
Padraic

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:37 am

Smurf

What is virkon-s- water?
I just use regular water.

Do you ever boil seeds? My guys go crazy over boiled seeds, and will eat them way before they eat regular dry seed.

Elana
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Smurf
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Smurf » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:54 am

lovezebs , the virkon -s is to prevent mould+fungus from developing on the soaking seed, i'd consider it essential. It comes in a small 50g sachet for less than 4 euros/sachet and can be used for disinfecting cages/drinkers/feeders/etc. also.

Here's a good series of 3 videos by Mike Fidler explaining it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xdo4Xk ... 71&index=1

I've never given them boiled seed but i believe nutritional + vitamin wise the chitted seed is better
Padraic

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:52 pm

Smurf

Sprouted seeds are much better, I agree. However , sometimes time (or lack thereof) just gets in the way. And they really love the boiled seeds as well. :-)

Elana
~Elana~