Quail and Bird Grit

james.uk
Pip
Pip

Quail and Bird Grit

Post by james.uk » Sat May 14, 2016 2:41 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know if quail need bird grit to aid their digestion by helping their gizzards to grind food? I think they do but I'm seeking assurance and clarification.

If anyone could answer any of the following it would be very useful.

-Do quail need bird grit?

-If quail need bird grit, then what type/size/grade should they be given?

-If quail need bird grit, then should the grit be mixed into their feed and if so how much grit to how much feed?

Thank you. I hope someone has some information about this.

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Quail and Bird Grit

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Sun May 15, 2016 12:04 am

Hi James,

Yes, I think that both dove and quail need some sort of grit in their diet. Mine have access to an area with a decomposed granite floor (fine gravel) and also a large tray of crushed oyster shells. I just put it out there and let them decide what they need in their diet.
My Button Quail also like a good dust bath in a large tray of diatomaceous earth - a great deterrent for lice and mites.

P
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

james.uk
Pip
Pip

Re: Quail and Bird Grit

Post by james.uk » Sun May 15, 2016 11:58 am

Thanks Paul. I like the idea of just making it available rather than mixing it into food. Your aviary sounds amazing by the way.