Japanese Quails

Dramoth
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Japanese Quails

Post by Dramoth » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:59 am

Dad went off and purchased 3 Quail today.

Going to have to do some research on a good hidey hole for them in the Aviary. We are going to put down some sand and some mulch/wood chips for them to scratch around in.

I'll try and post some pics tomorrow of the new kids.
Mark

Our Finches and our poodle supply me with an never ending amount of therapy for my stress related depression. Sitting there, throwing the ball for the dog while watching the finches is the best thing ever.

Chrismurdoch3
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Re: Japanese Quails

Post by Chrismurdoch3 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:09 pm

Very cool, love quail, they are so much fun to watch. Post some pictures when you get a chance i would love to them.
OWLS, GOULDIANS, SOCIETIES, AND FEW ZEBRAS

Dramoth
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Dramoth » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:35 am

And here they are :)
Two of the three quails.
Two of the three quails.
And the third...
And the third...
Mark

Our Finches and our poodle supply me with an never ending amount of therapy for my stress related depression. Sitting there, throwing the ball for the dog while watching the finches is the best thing ever.

Dramoth
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Dramoth » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:22 am

And we now have a bunch of eggs :)
Mark

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:56 pm

Hi Mark,
I am thinking that you'll be over-run with these little fellas in no time flat :)
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Dramoth
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Dramoth » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:28 pm

lovezebs wrote: Hi Mark,
I am thinking that you'll be over-run with these little fellas in no time flat :)
I haven't checked their nest yet today... I might do a video nest check on these guys as well. They had 5 eggs in one nest and another egg, I think from the white quail, floating about in the aviary... but it may have found it's way into the nest.
Mark

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:47 pm

I am not really familiar with quails, but as I recollect, they have many babies, and then they have many more babies.

I also remember reading somewhere, that adult males do not get along with other adult males...

Am I wrong, or are these guys a different... good grief, I almost said 'brand' instead of species, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Dramoth
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Dramoth » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:50 pm

They aren't the same as the button or king quails I grew up with. They are a lot larger... about 4-5 times larger actually.

And yes, they tend to have many many babies. Some clutches end up being around 1 dozen chicks. When I went out to the aviary where the Zebs are, it looks like one egg has broken... but I found 2 more in our hollowed out log.
Mark

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:48 pm

Is there a market for these little big guys?
Or are you folks just raising them for the fun of it?

I have seen baby quail, and they are awfully cute, but for some reason the adults don't appeal to me. Maybe if I had a large out door aviary....
~Elana~

Dramoth
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Dramoth » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:10 pm

I think there is a market for them, but I don't think it's a nice one.

From what I've seen, some people raise them for meat. We're just raising them for fun. I'll be taking the young birds down to the local pet store and I'll be trying not to think about what happens to them once we sell them.
Mark

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:19 pm

YEEEESSSHHHH!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :-O :-O :-O
~Elana~

Dramoth
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Dramoth » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:13 am

I know Elana... it's crazy... but these are big birds really and I can see why some people breed them for eating.

Hopefully ours will be going off to a good home!
Mark

javansparrow
Mature
Mature

Post by javansparrow » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:21 am

hi, just want to share.

Japanese quail wont mix with zebras. as they will nibble young zebra fledglings. be careful.
Jim.