The finch handbook

Share your favorite books and links here.
OAvila1986
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

The finch handbook

Post by OAvila1986 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:23 am

I just got my book in the mail and I'm reading it
and didn't find anything on black bellied firefinch.
I did see the black billed firefinches.
What are the difference between these 2? Are they
The same species.
Either way this book has a lot of information.
| Orlando |

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Re: The finch handbook

Post by w.l. » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:36 am

It is a printing error.
In my copy, the table of content lists it correctly as black-bellied, but in the actual text it is called black-billed.
The Latin name Lagonosticta rara indicates it is the same (your) bird.

I think this book is fantastic.
It packs in an amazing amount of info on a great range of both common and far from common species into a small size at a bargain price. And I find most of its info spot on.

OAvila1986
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by OAvila1986 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:59 am

w.l. that's what I thought.
I am still reading on so many
Other finches.
| Orlando |

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:02 am

OAvila1986

Sounds like the finch book I have. The last half of the book gives good descriptions of many different species-has a lot of info for such a small book.
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:27 pm

OAvila1986 - I've had mine for quite a few years and love it. By now it is quite a bit thicker as I keep inserting notes with additional information. Also, I freely highlight and underline parts that are important to me. Makes future reading easier. Only one problem: the more you read, the more species you will become interested in and want to buy them. Enjoy!
Iso

OAvila1986
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by OAvila1986 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:59 pm

isobea thanks I'm going to read from beginning to end.
| Orlando |

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:19 am

Seeing many of the posts on this forum, a lot of people would benefit from reading this book before buying some delicate waxbills just for their beauty, and only later finding out that they won't thrive let alone succesfully breed on the diet of societies, but need (horror of horrors!) wriggling-crawling live food. And that many of them, like these black-bellied fires, are only likely to breed in an aviary.

Link to the book in Q:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Finch-Handbook ... op?ie=UTF8

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:12 pm

w.l.

I actually checked out the book you mentioned on Amazon.ca.
There is a newer version of it out now (by the same author).

I also found out, that you can order second hand books, for a fraction of the cost of a new one, so also ordered a book on Zebras and Parrottlets (a species I would like to learn more about), and the newer version of The Finch Handbook.

Funnily enough, the shipping actually costs a bit more than the three books, but all in all still a good price :D .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:23 am

I buy used books from the US all the time, even though getting them shipped either here or to Hungary costs a lot more.

Of The Finch Handbook, I actually had two editions, and kept the older one, with gold-breasts on the cover. The content is virtually identical, but the new edition has more poorly-chosen photos inside.
Anyway, a great book. In general I find most books in that Barron's series pretty good.
Are the other two books from the same series?
They also have one on softbills, should white-eyes or pekin robins tempt you:

https://www.amazon.ca/New-Softbill-Hand ... lls+barron

Btw, I realize that there is no current book devoted to Society finches, which is a bit strange. And there has never been a book on Javas.

Well, let us know how you like them when they arrive!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:17 am

w.l.

Ordering books through Amazon.ca, is a new experience for me (one that I can foresee becoming a bad habit, lol :) , just click, click, done, too easy).

I have always loved books, ever since I was a child, and a favorite pass time is searching through overcrowded dusty shelves in used book stores. It's sort of like treasure hunting, and you never know what you're going to find. Sadly, books are very quickly becoming a thing of the past in our crazy modern world, and the children growing up today will never know what they're missing.

Here are some of my second hand treasures, purchased for next to nothing, some of them containing stunning photography and wonderful information....
Attachments
20161208_065623-640x360.jpg
20161208_065800-640x360.jpg
20161208_065724-640x360.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:35 pm

lovezebs - Elana, you have a nice colletion there. I'm with you: I love books! I have one shelf dedicated to books on birds, one about dogs, one about gardening, one about orchids and another about plumerias. Then are shelves filled with books in the guest room and in the our bedroom. And, oh I almost forgot, boxes full of books in the garage... Unfortunately, my son is one of those book-less 25 year-olds. Loved books as a child and then entered the world of electronics. :cry:
Iso

PS: Along with one or two Javas I asked Santa for the "Prachtfinken Australien, Ozeanien, Suedostasien" book. A huge, heavy and very expensive book which is - unfortunately - only available in German. I already have the one on African waxbills and this one on the birds in w.l.'s neck of the woods (kind of) would be amazing.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:36 pm

I have tons of books, too.
Including many on finches.
Including those two volumes of the German book Iso is about to get - they are the ultimate reference and beat anything published in English by a very long shot.
Btw Iso, the two volumes were split systematically, not purely geographically.
So you will find all Lonchura, African "mannikins" included, in the Asia-Pacific book.

I have recently put together a list of my finch books on Amazon.
I couldn't add one important German book by Robiller, plus my Hungarian books, but all English-language ones are there:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wish ... pdp_new_wl

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:24 pm

isobea

Yea, younglings now days and their electronics..... (as I sit here with my cell on one side, typing away on my tablet :wink: )

The books in the picture, are just a few that I recently picked up second hand, there are many, MANNNNY more, simply don't know where to put them all (and this is after donating boxes and boxes of them before the move :roll: )

Like you, I have shelves dedicated to different subjects, lol. And boxes in the basement, the garage, under my bed, under the bird flights.....
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:43 pm

lovezebs

It just so happens that the most complete English language book on keeping estrildid finches I know of is actually from Canada!
Maybe you should buy it out of patriotism? ;-)

https://www.amazon.ca/Hancock-House-Enc ... id+finches

Though this one is no bargain even used.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:41 pm

w.l. - I made the 'mistake' of clicking on the link you provided. Now I may have to put that on my wish list for my birthday (only 3 1/2 short months away I hate to admit). No jewelry for me - I think I have my priorities right, don't you agree?
Iso