THE FINCH...A Breeder's Companion - Yes? No?

Share your favorite books and links here.
CoMtnGal
Nestling
Nestling

THE FINCH...A Breeder's Companion - Yes? No?

Post by CoMtnGal » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:20 am

Do any of you have this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. I've bought several smaller finch books and am wondering if I should invest in this one.

Thanks.
Connie
http://www.aslansown.com
Is He Safe? "Safe? Of course He isn't safe, but He's good. He's the King I tell you."

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: THE FINCH...A Breeder's Companion - Yes? No?

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:34 pm

CoMtnGal

At this stage 'no'.
I haven't come across that one yet, but maybe our friend w.I has. Let's see if he chimes in on this....
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:28 pm

It's a rather obscure and very expensive Australian-published book that gets good review on one website but is too expensive for me to buy, considering that I already have the two volumes of an even more expensive German book on estrildid finches that I think can't be surpassed. The cheapest copy I found is $99, plus shipping from AU! If you still decide to get it, please describe it here.

A word of warning: I have in the past read that AU books tend to take a different approach to finch-keeping than those from other countries, eg describe how finches breed in well-planted outdoor aviaries that the AU climate makes more popular down there. This book may or may not be like that.

For those of us using indoor cages and aviaries I think the cheap but excellent The New Finch Handbook gives more than enough info to start with.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:42 am

I've done a bit more research about this book, and found important info here:

http://www.avianpublications.com/items/ ... tem605.htm

It covers a total of 70 species of "finches" which may sound a lot, until you notice that the species covered cone from a number of families: estrildid finches, true finches, cardinals, grassquits, sparrows, weavers and whydahs. 70 species from 7 families would mean an average of 10 species per family, which is not a lot, even if we assume that estrildid finches get more coverage than the others.
70 species from that many families are covered in many other books, too.
And if your main interest is estrilidid finches, you can find books that describe many more species than this book is likely to. The New Finch Handbook for example only includes estrildid finches, but then over 50 of those.
Since most of us keep mostly estrlidid finches, rather than weavers, sparrows, whydahs etc, this is an important consideration.

All species kept by CoMtnGal are estrildid finches, too.

Bearing the probably limited number of estrildid finches covered in mind, the book is likely to contain detailed info on those species that are included in it, and probably also good general info - the unanimously high ratings must be good testimonies for that.

CoMtnGal
Nestling
Nestling

Post by CoMtnGal » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:52 am

Wow. Thanks everyone for your input! Great information. I have the finch handbook and have coming the new one and a few others too. I'll review them here when they come.
Connie
Is He Safe? "Safe? Of course He isn't safe, but He's good. He's the King I tell you."

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:49 am

So, what have you decided about the Companion?
Get it or not?

I'd also be interested in hearing what else you've ordered.
These days when fewer and fewer people read books, I am still a great believer in good books and really like to hear of others appreciating them, too.

CoMtnGal
Nestling
Nestling

Post by CoMtnGal » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:49 pm

I decided to not get the readers companion. I did order:

Estrildid Finches of the World by Derek Goodwin,
Complete encyclopedia of cage and aviary birds by Ester Verhoef,
Finches and Sparrows by Peter Clement (I'm an experienced birder and photographer, I love this book!) and
The New Finch Handbook.

Other finch books I have are The Finch Handbook - love this!

Finches and softbilled birds by Hank Bates. Lots of great photos and interesting info.
Connie

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:39 pm

CoMtnGal

The Finch Handbook and The New Finch Handbook might just be two editions of the same book - check for the author and if they are indeed the same, try and cancel one as the two editions are almost identical.
The others are solid choices, though I can't personally speak for Goodwin's book which is the only one of the lot I have yet to get.
Again, I'd still recommend considering the Hancock House book at some point.

Nice to see "book fever" spreading on the forum! :-)

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:27 pm

At the recommendation of one of our members, I will move this topic to the Resources forum, so it will be available to all.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:46 pm

CoMtnGal

How is your booklist?
Have you received your orders or ordered more?

I'm particularly interested in hearing what extras Goodwin's book has to offer over Clement's, and if you think it's still worth buying if I already have the latter.

CoMtnGal
Nestling
Nestling

Post by CoMtnGal » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:13 pm

w.l. I did get my books! Haven't ordered more. I wanted the other edition of the Finch Handbook to see what the difference was. The NEW Finch Handbook is not quite as nice in my opinion. I much prefer The Finch Handbook.

I love the Finches and Sparrows by Clements, etc. Just a great field guide.

Estrildid Finches of the world has a LOT more behavioral information. I have attached a picture of the Contents.

For each species there is quite a bit of info with headers like this:

Description
Field Characters
Distribution and Habitat
Feeding and General Habits
Nesting
Voice
Display and Social Behavior

A great and worthy book in my opinion. I might still have to get the Hancock book..
Attachments
IMG_0329.JPG
Connie

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:10 am

I have The Finch a breeders companion. Excellent information from all over. Author is internationally traveled and researched far and wide over years of keeping finches. Info is on the species, its subspecies, mutations etc and all relevant information to keeping this bird in captivity. Breeding notes are on what this bird needs to breed and is not exclusive to outdoor breeding - some species just breed better in that sort of set up.

It is nice to have a book with all the info in one place, but the cost is prohibitive. I don't have many of the other recommended finch books as you do, so this is my handbook and I've not invested in many others.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:49 am

CoMtnGal

At one point I had both editions of Koepff's Handbook and finding the contents 99% identical, I chose to keep the (older) New Finch Handbook as I found it had better selected and arranged photos.

I may still get Derek's book at one point.

How did you find Verhoef's book?

I still recommend you get the Hancock book for the avicultural info on the widest range of species in English, and for the hundreds of photos.
Last edited by w.l. on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:51 am

monotwine

Could you upload an image of the table of contents?
I'd be interested to know what species it covers.

GouldieFledge
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by GouldieFledge » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:31 pm

monotwine

I second this request! I've caught the book-bug myself, and am compiling a list to purchase. I'd like to see what the The Breeder's Companion has to offer.