Trying to figure out what this is

Share your favorite books and links here.
Trisha12345
Pip
Pip

Trying to figure out what this is

Post by Trisha12345 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Any help would be great
Attachments
So my husband brought home these three finches  3 weeks ago someone left them out front of his work and that black spot has been yellow until today when I woke up now it's black so any help would be great thanks
So my husband brought home these three finches 3 weeks ago someone left them out front of his work and that black spot has been yellow until today when I woke up now it's black so any help would be great thanks

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: Trying to figure out what this is

Post by lem2bert » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:08 pm

Trisha12345

First I want to say Hi from Massachusetts.

It is so nice that your husband brought these birds home to you and shame on the person that just left them by his work.

I do not have much experience with finches, just started purchasing finches a couple weeks ago, so not able to help you .

There are a lot of finch keepers here that have a lot of experience and knowledge and I am sure someone will be along to help you.

Best wishes for your new little bird. I do hope it is nothing serious.
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Trisha12345

Hi again Trish,

Where is this located on the bird? I can't tell from the picture... Is it behind the neck area, or midback?

What type of Finches did hubby bring home? Very good of him to rescue these birds, and very good of you to take them in :D .

If you have other birds in the house, I would keep these new guys seperate and in quarantine, just in case they carry some diseases that you are not aware of.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Trisha12345
Pip
Pip

Post by Trisha12345 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:18 pm

[quote="lovezebs"]Trisha12345

Hi again Trish,

Where is this located on the bird? I can't tell from the picture... Is it behind the neck area, or midback?

What type of Finches did hubby bring home? Very good of him to rescue these birds, and very good of you to take them in :D .

If you have other birds in the house, I would keep these new guys seperate and in quarantine, just in case they carry some diseases that you are not aware of.[/quote
Ok so we don't know anything about them there is 3 of them and they were just left there about 3 weeks ago and the picture is of behind her neck area. Thanks so much and if you need to know anything else just let me know thanks again

Trisha12345
Pip
Pip

Post by Trisha12345 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Ok so we don't know anything about them there is 3 of them and they were just left there about 3 weeks ago and the picture is of behind her neck area. Thanks so much and if you need to know anything else just let me know thanks again[/quote]

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:21 pm

Trisha12345

Ahhhh.... what happened with your post?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Trisha12345

Oh, here you are, lol.

Are they Zebras, Societies?
Do you have a picture of them?
~Elana~

Trisha12345
Pip
Pip

Post by Trisha12345 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:56 pm

lovezebs wrote: Trisha12345

Oh, here you are, lol.

Are they Zebras, Societies?
Do you have a picture of them?
I'm trying to put a picture but it's not letting me

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Trisha12345

I got your picture as a PM, which is fine.

The bird in the picture, is a Zebra Finch girl. Looks like some sort of a CFW mutation (I think). Are all three the same?

Now I want to post a few pictures below.
Take a good look at them, and tell me if any of them resemble what you are seeing on your girl.

Does this lump happen to be on both sides of the spine?
Attachments
Screenshot_20170305-184926-360x576-180x288.png
Screenshot_20170305-184926-360x576-180x288.png (37.33 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
Screenshot_20170305-185737-360x576-180x288.png
Screenshot_20170305-185737-360x576-180x288.png (42.55 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
Screenshot_20170305-184626-360x576-180x288.png
Screenshot_20170305-184626-360x576-180x288.png (32.29 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
Screenshot_20170305-184235-360x576-180x288.png
Screenshot_20170305-184235-360x576-180x288.png (32.41 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:30 pm

Trisha12345

I found the other picture, of your other two birds.

They are two normal male Zebra Finches.

All three birds, are in very poor feather condition, but that's nothing that a good diet, good housing, TLC, and time won't fix.
~Elana~

Trisha12345
Pip
Pip

Post by Trisha12345 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:42 am

I got your picture as a PM, which is fine.

The bird in the picture, is a Zebra Finch girl. Looks like some sort of a CFW mutation (I think). Are all three the same?

Now I want to post a few pictures below.
Take a good look at them, and tell me if any of them resemble what you are seeing on your girl.

Does this lump happen to be on both sides of the spine?
Omg yesss it's those yellow pictures the last picture on the bottom and yes it's on both sides. What is it?? Is she ok?? And no the other 2 birds don't have it. The other 2 birds are all different colors I think they are males. Thank you so much for your help.

Trisha12345
Pip
Pip

Post by Trisha12345 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:57 am

I found the other picture, of your other two birds.

They are two normal male Zebra Finches.

All three birds, are in very poor feather condition, but that's nothing that a good diet, good housing, TLC, and time won't fix.
I just saw your other one you sent me. I know all of there feathers are bad but what should I feed them to help them that's good to fix them. I feel so bad because people just left them. I'm feeding them seeds and lots of veggies now every day. Any advice would be great because I don't know anything about birds at all I have 2 dogs and a cat. Thanks for all your help so far. You have been a big help.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Trisha12345

Hi Trisha,

If this is what you're seeing on your birdie, then you can take a deep breath and relax :D .

What you are seeing, is your girl's 'crop', which is where birds store their food until they digest it.

Your two boys, have a crop as well (as do all birds) but you're not seeing it because their feathers are covering it. In your girl's case, some of the feathers around her neck have been plucked (probably by your naughty boys), that's why it's visible.

Regarding looking after birds for the first time.

Zebras, are not all that difficult (other than their sometime crabby personalities :D )
Housing:
When it comes to housing... bigger is always better.
Finches, fly for exercise, and they need to be able to fly from side to side.
A cage minimum, should be about 18" deep /30" length/ 18" height, but as mentioned above, if you can go bigger, they will definitely enjoy the extra flying room.
Natural branches for perches are the best, with enough free room to fly between them.
Swings are greatly appreciated.
I use newspaper on the bottoms of my flights, which is cheap and easy to replace daily.
You can add some $Store fake greenery to your cage, which the birds will enjoy.

Diet:
-Diet should contain a good quality Finch seed mix.
-Clean drinking water (changed daily)

-Some greens and veggies....(you can buy a container of baby spring greens and offer a few leaves daily), or you can purchase things like kale, spinach, broccoli, red swiss chard, beet greens, parsley, romaine, etc. and offer them some. They will also enjoy, slices of cucumber, fresh corn on the cob, some grated fresh carrot, and possibly some fruit, such as a bit of apple, a slice of orange, etc.

-Hard boiled eggs, are a wonderful source of protein for birds. Protein is very important for good health and feather growth. Eggs can be mashed with a fork, grated, or put through a garlic press. You can serve them 2-3 times a week. If you like, I have an egg food recipe, which most birds really love, let me know.

*Save the shells from the eggs, dry them, and crush them into tiny bits. This is a very important source of calcium, which all birds need.

-A few drops of Bird vitamins in their drinking water a couple of times a week, will be beneficial.
-A cuttle bone, iodine block, mineral block, can be attached to the sides of the cage, where the birds can access them as needed.

A daily bath, consisting of a shallow dish with about half an inch of tepid water will be great. Sit back and enjoy the splashing fun :lol: .

Good luck, and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
Attachments
20151003_145428.jpg
~Elana~