Blind Zebra Finches

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Blind Zebra Finches

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:54 am

Hi there,
Somewhere I read that if a certain zebra finch Color is bred the result can be blind babies ?!? I'm a little confused as to how a Color doubled would make the chicks blind? Can a zebra finch live when they are blind? And apart from the Color of the Zebs eyes what would be signs that the zeb can't see?
I'm just curious to know, thanks!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Blind Zebra Finches

Post by lovezebs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:33 am

~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:45 am

yes me and lovezebs have experienced that

from efinch
Notes
The first thing to be aware of when thinking of breeding FCs is that there is a genetic weakness towards producing blind chicks. It is unavoidable, but it has been reported that there are fewer incidence of blindness by pairing to Grays or Fawns rather than pairing two Fawn Cheeks. The blind birds that are produced are immediately noticed in the nest because as other chicks begin to grow and have alert looking eyes, the blind FCs will have a sunken appearance to the eye socket or large water filled eyes when quite young. Any birds showing this genetic weakness should obviously be removed from any breeding program. Also produced are some birds that have vision, but the shape of the eye is distorted. Whatever genetic weakness produces the blindness may also distort the eye socket in some way.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:52 am

Also yes, blind finches can live, but they will need your constant care and devotion through their entire lives. If you have a pair that produces a blind chick, maybe pair them up with new mates if possible.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 am

A bit of advice for blind birds... If you get them, you want to pull them for socializing with humans. Some cases people pull them at imprint age. I have a blind pigeon, but the circumstances are similar.

A blind bird is just as good as any other. In the right circumstances they make good companions.
New Mexico

1 female lovebird : Harley Quinn
1 male lovebird : Nightwing
3 Bantams : Ollie, Nibel, and Obi
2 Starlings : Inee and Messy
1 House Sparrow : Bat-Chat
1 Blind Pigeon : Blinky

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Okay thanks everyone, that is very interesting. Now that you mention it haroun, I'm pretty sure efinch was where I read about it. Can blind birds fly? Or do they attempt to fly at all?

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:36 am

They will make the attempt. And will fly, but remember walls and bars cannot be seen.

I suggest bell training or ping training. Teach blind birds where the obstacles are.
New Mexico

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:29 am

Moon wrote: They will make the attempt. And will fly, but remember walls and bars cannot be seen.

I suggest bell training or ping training. Teach blind birds where the obstacles are.
So when they fly... Do they ever land on a perch or... Just fly into walls?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:05 am

Flight Feathers

They fly until they crash into something.

In my opinion, this the one and only situation where I would recommend clipping wing feathers on a finch.

Do you have a blind baby, or are you just curious?

If you have parents who produce a blind chick(s), I would not pair them up together for breeding with each other again.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:33 am

I was told low perches, small dishes, a stuffed toy, a flat bottom cage (grates are bad), and training. Lots of it. Tap dishes, provide audio stimuli, work the bird on your hands so it can be exercise. A rehabber might be best consulted for advice.
New Mexico

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:37 am

Birds will fly into walls. Especially blind if you are not cautious. A blind bird is delicate. A small perch is good, but they need training to get there. You can't expect it to survive without your help. Your bird needs to be trained to its environment. It won't be free flight unless it's clipped for its safety. I repeat. Training is absolutely necessary.
New Mexico

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:59 am

lovezebs wrote: Flight Feathers

They fly until they crash into something.

In my opinion, this the one and only situation where I would recommend clipping wing feathers on a finch.

Do you have a blind baby, or are you just curious?

If you have parents who produce a blind chick(s), I would not pair them up together for breeding with each other again.
Hi Elana,

Sorry I am just curious- I do not have a blind baby. Is there any other Color mutations that have bad effects on the babies? I know there is a BF to BF one that can cause babies dead in the shell.

Thanks for answering all my questions!
Last edited by Flight Feathers on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:02 am

Moon wrote: Birds will fly into walls. Especially blind if you are not cautious. A blind bird is delicate. A small perch is good, but they need training to get there. You can't expect it to survive without your help. Your bird needs to be trained to its environment. It won't be free flight unless it's clipped for its safety. I repeat. Training is absolutely necessary.
Okay thanks everyone, very interesting! I had actually thought if a finch was blind there would be zero survival chance but apparently not! Would be hard for the bird though. One of the reasons I had asked this is because I am curious and the other reason is because one of my friends finches is possibly split to fawn cheek. Does a split give you blind babies?