Mutation help

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Raleighwheels
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: Mutation help

Post by Raleighwheels » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:33 pm

This is the best I could get right now. I have to get to work, so I'll get better ones tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_20180316_133051041.jpg

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:55 pm

OK thank u for that shot , i can say definitely not LB
have a good day

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:20 pm

haroun Ohright ThAnkyou so can this create anything nice with a normal that’s maybe split to fawn
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:55 pm

haroun wrote: Flight Feathers Raleighwheels Fraza Blackzeb

lets compare that hen with two possibilities and u can say which one is the best
comparaison.jpg
in the left we can see a LB FAWN Big difference isn't it ?
in the right , the head color is the same do you agreed? it looks too Grey for a fawn or lb fawn ?
same for the belly , too much cream for a lb ?
i would say it's a grey Agate .
for the cheek patches,still hesitate, if there're no shadow dots in the flanks! i would say definitely not OB nor /OB
Oh right, was guessing lb only because of faint cheek patches. Never heard of a grey agate.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Raleighwheels wrote: This is the best I could get right now. I have to get to work, so I'll get better ones tomorrow.
No doesn’t look lb after seeing that pic!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Fraza wrote: haroun what’s lb because that large one is the same as my female that has just laid and hatched chicks
a light back fawn is a combo of two sex linked mutation fawn and light back .

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Flight Feathers wrote:
haroun wrote: Flight Feathers Raleighwheels Fraza Blackzeb

lets compare that hen with two possibilities and u can say which one is the best
comparaison.jpg
in the left we can see a LB FAWN Big difference isn't it ?
in the right , the head color is the same do you agreed? it looks too Grey for a fawn or lb fawn ?
same for the belly , too much cream for a lb ?
i would say it's a grey Agate .
for the cheek patches,still hesitate, if there're no shadow dots in the flanks! i would say definitely not OB nor /OB
Oh right, was guessing lb only because of faint cheek patches. Never heard of a grey agate.
i have had already few years ago , a grey hen with same marked cheek patche and she wasn't LB nor OB

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Fraza wrote: haroun Ohright ThAnkyou so can this create anything nice with a normal that’s maybe split to fawn
agate is recessive Mutation like BC,BB ,OB , Pied, YB etc.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:15 pm

haroun Ohright okay thanks if there chicks survive I’ll post them when they are coloured and use can tell me what genes they must have hidden or if they are just casual normal
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:41 pm

Fraza
Raleighwheels Flight Feathers

This what i was talking abou. Hen with tan cheek, i have had the same
Blackzeb
FYI concerning the cheeks, this case is a tan cheek not Ob mark

Of corse. Do not forget the image courtesy. cobramotors thank u

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:09 pm

Huh. I saw one of these at the pet store. Pretty pied boy, but I cant bring him home. I am full. But oh he is gorgeous.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Sila
Pip
Pip

Post by Sila » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:40 am

Hi!

Let me intruduce myself a bit before I start...
I live in Austria (the one with Mozart, not the one with kangaroos) :lol: and I started breeding zebra finches back in 1996 and I've bred several hundreds in a few years. I resumed breeding just to start again in 2004, bred for several years and had to stop.
After moving to another place I bought some Gouldian finches in the end of 2018 and now I'll start with zebrafinches.

I'm really enthusiastic about genetics and I know several mutations and their combinations and how splits look like first hand.
I've bred black breast females with pale cheeks back in the nineties, but never a female with normal pattern and this marking.

I found a normal grey hen with light cheeks in a pet store last weeek and bought her immediately.
In search for an explanation for this unusual marking I found this forum.

She is quite young, has pale cheeks, no other signs of male pattern and no signs for being split in orange- or black breast. Looks quite like the one from user haroun.

There is a similar looking hen in another pet store, but I could not buy her jet because she still is in quarantine. She has little male markings on breast and also pale cheeks. All pet stores get their bird from the same "breeder" (he "produces" only for pet stores across the whole country), there is a chance that they are quite inbred what raises the chance for new mutations to appear. In the same cage are other hens of different colours with ordinary markings. Not a single case of black breast or splits even in males.

Do you have any experience what causes these marking? Is it a heritable trait, do males out of these hens look different to?

With greetings from Austria, and sorry for my english
Sila
Attachments
IMG_20190228_183821~01.jpg
IMG_20190228_183824.jpg
IMG_20190228_184715.jpg

Raleighwheels
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by Raleighwheels » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:29 pm

Sila wrote: Hi!

Let me intruduce myself a bit before I start...
I live in Austria (the one with Mozart, not the one with kangaroos) :lol: and I started breeding zebra finches back in 1996 and I've bred several hundreds in a few years. I resumed breeding just to start again in 2004, bred for several years and had to stop.
After moving to another place I bought some Gouldian finches in the end of 2018 and now I'll start with zebrafinches.

I'm really enthusiastic about genetics and I know several mutations and their combinations and how splits look like first hand.
I've bred black breast females with pale cheeks back in the nineties, but never a female with normal pattern and this marking.

I found a normal grey hen with light cheeks in a pet store last weeek and bought her immediately.
In search for an explanation for this unusual marking I found this forum.

She is quite young, has pale cheeks, no other signs of male pattern and no signs for being split in orange- or black breast. Looks quite like the one from user haroun.

There is a similar looking hen in another pet store, but I could not buy her jet because she still is in quarantine. She has little male markings on breast and also pale cheeks. All pet stores get their bird from the same "breeder" (he "produces" only for pet stores across the whole country), there is a chance that they are quite inbred what raises the chance for new mutations to appear. In the same cage are other hens of different colours with ordinary markings. Not a single case of black breast or splits even in males.

Do you have any experience what causes these marking? Is it a heritable trait, do males out of these hens look different to?

With greetings from Austria, and sorry for my english
Sila
Nice to meet you!

I just bred this girl to a grey crested and only got one chick from the pairing. I'm going to give them a little down time before setting them up again. The chick fledged and is now weaned. I'll have to wait a bit until he molts to see if anything unusual pops up.

The female didn't come from anything really special, just a crested fawn female and a grey male. After several clutches they did start throwing out CFW though. I was hoping to get a couple more clutches, but the female passed, so I retired the male.

Sila
Pip
Pip

Post by Sila » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:34 pm

Raleighwheels wrote: I just bred this girl to a grey crested and only got one chick from the pairing. I'm going to give them a little down time before setting them up again. The chick fledged and is now weaned. I'll have to wait a bit until he molts to see if anything unusual pops up.
Are there any news?

I plan to breed her with a lightback male, but I do not think I will see much cheek colour in the lightback females from this pairing. Another female with similar features has a clutch of four) and one has alread hatched) with a grey male. First chick seems to be marked white or fawn.

Raleighwheels
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by Raleighwheels » Sat May 25, 2019 11:34 pm

Sila wrote:
Raleighwheels wrote: I just bred this girl to a grey crested and only got one chick from the pairing. I'm going to give them a little down time before setting them up again. The chick fledged and is now weaned. I'll have to wait a bit until he molts to see if anything unusual pops up.
Are there any news?

I plan to breed her with a lightback male, but I do not think I will see much cheek colour in the lightback females from this pairing. Another female with similar features has a clutch of four) and one has alread hatched) with a grey male. First chick seems to be marked white or fawn.
Her single chick was just a normal grey male. She's sitting on more eggs right now.