Rare or uncommon colors?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Rare or uncommon colors?

Post by Flight Feathers » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Hello!

I’m just wondering what society finch colors are considered rare or uncommon?

Thanks!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Rare or uncommon colors?

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:23 am

Flight Feathers

Pretty much anything that isn't a base color or pied is going to be uncommon. Fawn is the most recessive of the base colors, and is one of the less common base colors a result. Fox red is rare, and is genetically fawn with richer colors. It seems semi-common in Australian birds. Chestnut is dominant to fawn and recessive to chocolate, but it's fairly rare in my area. Chocolate is the most common. Black-brown seems to be a richer-colored chocolate, and is uncommon in the US but common in Europe and Australia.

Pied is extremely common, and codominant over self. Dark-eyed white/white pied is uncommon, and marked pieds are also less common. Self is uncommon to rare depending on where you live.

Grey and red-brown are both uncommon. Both are recessive. Red-brown seems to be the rarer of the two.

Dilute is uncommon, though it tends to be seen more in European birds. It is recessive. Clearwings are a subset of dilutes, and also uncommon. Albinos are rare, and albinism is recessive.

Ino is uncommon and sex-linked recessive. Pearls are probably among the rarest, and are sex-linked recessive, as well.

It's the combination of traits that make colors rare. Take fawn and self, for example; neither of them are that rare, but fawn selfs aren't common (at least where I live).

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Well Icearstorm has told u everything but I think the white ones with red eyes and the pearls are the rarest
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Icearstorm wrote: Flight Feathers

Pretty much anything that isn't a base color or pied is going to be uncommon. Fawn is the most recessive of the base colors, and is one of the less common base colors a result. Fox red is rare, and is genetically fawn with richer colors. It seems semi-common in Australian birds. Chestnut is dominant to fawn and recessive to chocolate, but it's fairly rare in my area. Chocolate is the most common. Black-brown seems to be a richer-colored chocolate, and is uncommon in the US but common in Europe and Australia.

Pied is extremely common, and codominant over self. Dark-eyed white/white pied is uncommon, and marked pieds are also less common. Self is uncommon to rare depending on where you live.

Grey and red-brown are both uncommon. Both are recessive. Red-brown seems to be the rarer of the two.

Dilute is uncommon, though it tends to be seen more in European birds. It is recessive. Clearwings are a subset of dilutes, and also uncommon. Albinos are rare, and albinism is recessive.

Ino is uncommon and sex-linked recessive. Pearls are probably among the rarest, and are sex-linked recessive, as well.

It's the combination of traits that make colors rare. Take fawn and self, for example; neither of them are that rare, but fawn selfs aren't common (at least where I live).
Thank you so much!! I saw a pic of a fox red colored one yesterday - they are beautiful! What is a pearl and clear wing? Also do you know of any good websites that will show photos of all the different colors?
Last edited by Flight Feathers on Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Fraza wrote: Well Icearstorm has told u everything but I think the white ones with red eyes and the pearls are the rarest
So albino and pearl are the rarest then? I put up an add saying I was looking to get societies next month and one person answered but I think they might just be someone trying to scam going by what they said.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Flight Feathers
image.jpeg
Zebrafinch.com includes pictures for most of the society color mutations. Aussie Bengos is also good.

It's quite dependent on location; Europe and Japan seem to have more society finches of uncommon mutations, while the US doesn't seem to have as much variety. From what I've gathered, it does seem like pearls and albinos are some of the rarest.

Bear in mind that red-eyed white society finches could be either ino or albino; you'd probably have to figure it out by test-crossing them (breeding and determining the parents' genes by their offspring's characteristics). It also appears that red-brown and fox red society finches look similar, despite different genes contributing to the rich color.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:23 pm

Icearstorm if like to ask aswell I have a creamo heck which I though was an albino but her bib is cream also I have a albino society with red eyes

And they both have bad eye sight and just hover around for a while till they find a perch
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:41 pm

Icearstorm wrote: Flight Feathers
image.jpeg
Zebrafinch.com includes pictures for most of the society color mutations. Aussie Bengos is also good.

It's quite dependent on location; Europe and Japan seem to have more society finches of uncommon mutations, while the US doesn't seem to have as much variety. From what I've gathered, it does seem like pearls and albinos are some of the rarest.

Bear in mind that red-eyed white society finches could be either ino or albino; you'd probably have to figure it out by test-crossing them (breeding and determining the parents' genes by their offspring's characteristics). It also appears that red-brown and fox red society finches look similar, despite different genes contributing to the rich color.
Thank you so much! I’ll have to take a look at those websites. I wonder how many uncommon/rare colors there are here in NZ.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:42 pm

Fraza wrote: Icearstorm if like to ask aswell I have a creamo heck which I though was an albino but her bib is cream also I have a albino society with red eyes

And they both have bad eye sight and just hover around for a while till they find a perch
Do they mostly have difficulty when the lighting is really bright?

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Fraza

Yeah, red-eyed birds are a lot more likely to have vision issues, especially if they are albino. I don't know if it's true, but I read that society finches from non-fawn lines tend to have better vision than fawns. I don't know about Heck's finch genetics, though, so I probably won't be very helpful with that.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 am

Icearstorm yeh well I think it right because it’s like they are. Flying blind folded but manage to find the food and beds so must be able to see anit
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:50 am

Is it weird that my society has a brown top part of beak and white bottom? He looks something like the one in the picture above.

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 dog (Getting another soon.(will post pics))
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1Otj-I0yiRjboOUxEgyreA
Channel #2
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQmXcLlN_Oo7hkGE4zUgS9A

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:02 am

FinchLover&Breeder that’s actually how it’s supposed to be u less if it’s a fawn or white and it’s more like a pink colour instead of brown

When they are chicks or young juveniles it’s all black then over time it blends in to a brown/black on top and a white/grey on bottoms or if they are a fawn or white it’s just pinky colour
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:04 am

[quote=Fraza]Flight Feathers sorry I didn’t see this comment [quote=Flight Feathers][quote=Fraza]
Icearstorm if like to ask aswell I have a creamo heck which I though was an albino but her bib is cream also I have a albino society with red eyes

[/quote]

Do they mostly have difficulty when the lighting is really bright?[/quote]

Yes they do find it harder in bright places at first they kept flying into the roof on the aviary because they can only see the mesh because I have a plastic cover but now it’s been a few weeks they have got the hangs of it they come out get food and water bath and go back inside they are just very slow at moving take a lot of time to take off
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL