Rare half sider gouldian?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
finchman
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Rare half sider gouldian?

Post by finchman » Sun May 06, 2018 5:05 pm

I found a gentleman selling the remainder of his gouldian collection yesterday due to health issues. One of the seven birds I purchased is a female gouldian that is pied, and yellow/green on one side of her body, and blue on the other. Her face is half black and half white. So I'm thinking she is yellow on that side genetically with a black head? Although I do see some black feathers so maybe that could be wrongl. I have only seen pictures and read about these online. The gentleman I purchased her from said she has had eggs hatch, but tossed the babies. Does anyone else have experience with anything like this? Thank you in advance!
Attachments
thumbnail (299.jpg
thumbnail (20.jpg
thumbnail (290.jpg

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Rare half sider gouldian?

Post by Sheather » Sun May 06, 2018 8:52 pm

It's not a halfsider, it just has pied markings on that side of the head. a halfsider would have no black on the white side.
~Dylan

~~~

finchman
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by finchman » Sun May 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Hmm. Thanks for the response. I suppose that's possible. The pictures don't really show it well. But if you look closely at the first and last pictures; one side is blue, and the other is green and yellow on her back split down the middle. Its also not clear in the picture but her belly color is slightly different. Again split right down the middle. I think she is also finishing up a molt. I dont have much experience with pied, I'll admit. So sorry if these are dumb questions! Could she still just be pied? Could you get 3 back colors and a split in the middle from a pied bird like that?

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun May 06, 2018 10:50 pm

You will have to wait till all the feathers grow to see. Very interesting tho. Hope it is a half sided as that would be cool!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon May 07, 2018 12:43 am

You're right, it does seem to be a halfsider according to the back color, though it looks like both sides are black-head and one side just has more pied markings covering most of it.
~Dylan

~~~

finchman
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by finchman » Mon May 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Thanks for the responses! I wonder what her offspring would be as far as coloring goes. I don't believe half siders can produced by targeted breeding. But would her young be green, pied, yellow, blue, etc? I'm thinking it was likely the male tossing the young, so perhaps a different mate would be in order. Thoughts?

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon May 07, 2018 12:48 pm

It depends on which side(s) her gametes are on.
If both sides are pied, she can produce pied offspring, but now that I look closely, I'm not sure the blue side is pied.
~Dylan

~~~