3 female vs 1

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

3 female vs 1

Post by goldfinchowl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:25 am

I have society finches in a double wide flight cage.

I had been thinking of getting canary and came across the society.

There is a local pet store that sometimes has canaries. Last time they were young and they didn't know if male or female.
If buy from craigslist can't be sure if really female.

I had read can't keep 2 females together, either 1 or 3?

Would it work ok having 3 female canary in with my society? 63" long cage.

If I ended up accidentally with a male would that be a problem?

Or best just 1 canary, there r so many pretty color varieties :roll:

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Re: 3 female vs 1

Post by Gracie85 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:38 am

Sometimes a canary will live peacefully with finches. Sometimes they won't, and since they are so much bigger, they can seriously injure the finches.

How many societies do you have in the flight? And are you still having trouble with the bully bird harassing the others?

I wouldn't.

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Gracie85 - thank you

What other kinds of birds would work with society best?
I really think some different kinds of birds would distract the divisions among the society that r causing problems.

Hard to find though in small town.
Canary and zebs r the easiest to find. Since I don't want from a chain store makes it that much harder.

If I could find some gouldian?

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:43 pm

I think one canary should be alright
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:00 pm

Fraza - thank you

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:36 pm

Ur welcome :)
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi

I have had zebras and canaries together in a very large avairy. In the end the canaries didnt tolerate the zebras. Get a seperate cage for a canary..a pair of canaries or a couple of hens together. Canaries really do like their own as company. Hens do well together. A pair would need more work. 2 cockbirds together is alright to..if they get along. Some males cant be housed with another male..I have two. My other cockbirds coexist happily with other males.

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:21 am

Clairecanary15 - thank you

I did end up getting 2 hens but unfortunately they fight a lot and it is getting worse. I've even ordered new cages to separate them.

Would 3-4 together do better or just make matters worse?

One bites a lot at her feet. But the other I haven't seen do that. Both from same breeder. But not sure if kept together. One was an established breeder already while the one with the feet problem was young and unsexed tho pretty sure a female.
Neither sings at all.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:01 am

goldfinchowl that's why they are biting the feet it's because one is younger when she matures they will stop the other is trying to dominate her
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:37 am

I have hens together. .very odd. The only difference is a bowl of seed is at one of the flight cage/aviary/bird room and the greens dish is in another area. It sounds like bad luck if the hens arent getting along. I have 16 hens and they are fine. Some are more loners and keep to themselves. Each hen or cockbird has their own personality. Do you have a flight cage or a smaller cage? The bigger the cage the better. Also a moulting canary can seem off..less tolerant.

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:01 am

It is a flight cage. Both r very cranky. They don't like each other and they don't like the societies either. They really seem to want to be by themselves but I thought only males had to be 1 to a cage.
They chase each other for no reason. They don't want anyone by them when they r eating.
Yesterday when they were moving from 1 flight cage to another, when 1 had been moved they both started calling to each other. But today back to not liking each other.

I don't have room for more cages.

I haven't gotten the cage set up yet. Will add a few things to try to distract them. See if that helps any.
Not sure what else I can do.

I read canary r very light oriented. What hrs should I set the light timers to for winter?
They r likely getting too many hrs with the lights right now.
Attachments
20181012_190317.jpg

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:09 am

Picture of them. They don't like my taking pictures
Attachments
20181010_133410.jpg

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:46 pm

goldfinchowl wrote: Picture of them. They don't like my taking pictures
Hi
You are having a rough time. Light wise I tend to go with the natural light outside. Im in the UK. If its dark outside its bedtime for my birds inside. It depends where you are? Are the canaries with the societies?

You have a beautiful set up. .very clean too.

What do they appear to be squabbling about? Mine will squabble over roosting areas... For my flight cages inside I provide a cover at the top rear. It gives them the feeling of safety abit of cover. Ive used old tea towels folded length ways in half. At night time i unfold at this time of the year to put mine more in the dark so they sleep. I use 2..they cover the full length at the back/top of the cage. Im sure we can fathem this out..what food do you feed them?

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:22 pm

My experience too is you cannot keep two same sexed together in a confined space - one will eventually try to kill the other, they need to be separated. Male or female. And I've had about thirty canaries to base this observation on.

I have always found canaries are highly aggressive birds and do best kept in single or flocks of more than six in an aviary setting (not a cage.) You could try a flock in a cage, but they won't be happy, you'll see lots of chasing, hissing and bickering and the stress will likely kill the weaker birds over time - not a healthy situation. Some male + female pairs get along very well but some males will kill the hens if they are not receptive to breed.

They typically mellow down a lot after breeding time, from autumn to winter but toward spring hormones increase and you will again see violent bickering if they cannot escape each other. In the wild, they flock together in the winter but form their own territories in spring and then are very territorial, so they still act this way in captiviy.

Winter day length should be no more than ten hours but you on't wan to cut it back all at once. Ideally adjust their days to match the outdoors, from about 14 - 15 hours in summer to ten or less in winter. This way they will molt properly too.
~Dylan

~~~

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:17 am

Clairecanary15
Sheather
- Thank you

Do all canary moult at same time and when does that normally occur?

Since we are in fall, are they at the mellowest they will get or may they mellow more during winter. If they're going to worsen when spring comes that's a definite problem.

I don't see their being able to get along with anyone. Otherwise I could place one with the gouldians in the summer.

They r with the society. Sometimes the society can be pushy. The all Yellow one does a lot more hissing . The yellow and black seemed to be more mellow at first but then she couldn't take a bath without being interupted by the society so she started hissing too.

Today they didn't sound as bad.
They especially like to eat by themselves even though I have double wide feeders, I had 3 double wide on one side. This evening I added 2 more double wide feeders on the other side and that got each canary on a different side which helped. The society just need to use the other ones since that still leaves 3 double wide feeders for them.

But they do chase each other just for the sake of it, not like they have to be near each other.

It seems they bicker more just for the sake of it as well as because they want the whole flight cage to themselves.

Could it be also due to the type of breed they are? I think the breeder said they were Spanish Trimbrado

I would really like to have 1-2 canary but I don't wish them to injury each other nor any other birds.