Flighty Owl Finches

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Flighty Owl Finches

Post by limechiffon » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 am

This may be a dumb question, but I'm new to Owl finches, so I'll ask anyway. :)

I got a pair of owl finches last month. They're about 7 months old. They are some of the flightiest, most panicked birds I've seen. Any time anyone gets within three feet of the cage they're flinging themselves around to the point where I'm afraid they might actually hurt themselves. They are in a corner of the room where nobody has to walk past them constantly, but it's hard to change their food and water and cage when you can't get near them without really upsetting them.

They were shipped from Florida to Iowa and then driven from Iowa to Chicago, so I thought maybe they were just upset after all the transferring... but they haven't seemed to settle in at all yet. Is this because they're young? Because they're still getting adjusted to their home? Or is this just a characteristic of Owls?
Gail
*Three Owl finches, 2 Zebra finches, a cat, one painted turtle, one red-eared slider, and too many fish*

Fernando
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: Flighty Owl Finches

Post by Fernando » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:37 pm

It might be that they come from a big aviary, where they were used to ample space and a long flight distance. In a reduced space, they have to adapt to it. This may take time.
But you can help.
Cover the top of the cage, the 'roof'.
Cover one or two of the sides and the back (if there isn't already a wall) With this, you offer the birds a 'corner' where no enemy can approach but from one side, which can be controlled by sight. If there is enough space in your cage for it, offer some twigs with leaves, some brushwood, for them to hide; a bundle of tall grasses may also help.
When you approach, always talk in a low, soothing voice. They will soon learn to be confident. My birds are very nosy, they jump onto the tray with fresh food even with my hand in the cage. I'm sure I could offer them seed from a wet finger ... they pick green grasses which I hold with my fingers. But one fast movement, and they fly or move away.
Be careful. Be patient. Make the daily routine (cleaning, feeding, watering) at about the same time, in the same order. Once they get accustomed, they are not shy at all.

limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by limechiffon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:07 am

Great advice, thank you. I'm glad this isn't characteristic of the species as they're so cute, I'd like them not to be super scared. :)
Gail
*Three Owl finches, 2 Zebra finches, a cat, one painted turtle, one red-eared slider, and too many fish*

Egret
Pip
Pip

Post by Egret » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:25 pm

In addition to what Fernando offered, I'd suggest that you elevate their cage for a while, to the point that their highest perches are higher than the tallest person in your home. The idea is that they are always able to view you from above, where they feel safer. Birds, by nature, don't like being approached from above (unless they've been conditioned to accept it), and if they've been in a walk-in aviary, they've always had the ability to go to a high perch when a human entered. When they get used to their new situation you can try lowering their cage by just a few inches a week.
Rebecca

Societies, Gouldians, RC Cordon Bleu's, Orange-Cheeked WB's, Spicies, Red-Throated Parrot Finch, Blue-Faced Parrot Finch, Forbes Parrot Finch, Lavender Waxbills, Shaft-Tail Finches, Fire Finches, English Zebra Finches, and Buffy, the Lone-Canary-Hen-Who-Sings.

limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by limechiffon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:25 am

As an update, both of those finches died. :( I got two new owls that aren't nearly as flighty and are super curious in everything and will even take a bath while I'm standing right next to the cage. I suspect I was mislead on the age of my first pair and they weren't young or super healthy.
Gail