3 female vs 1

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: 3 female vs 1

Post by goldfinchowl » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:41 am

Seeds:

I currently have a Parakeet, Canary, Finch mix which isn't all that great.

I purchased a couple other canary finch brands but they all have salt in them which I hadn't realized salt was added to seed mixes.

I have Laferber (?) Which uses iodine salt but with all the problems and rearranging haven't tried to add that one yet.

Plus I have Zupreem extra small which I had a dish of and it did get eaten a little but they seemed to be losing interest in it and I haven't added it yet to this cage.

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:02 am

Hi

I personally would have the canaries in one cage and societies in another. Canaries can sadly harm finches. They sound stressed.

Moulting comes after the breeding season. Mine are coming to an end of their moult now. They do moult at different times over the moulting period.

Dylan I think is on to something. Ive had 6 canaries in a flight cage for several weeks and apart from the odd dispute they have got on.

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:05 am

A canary mix is needed. Im not sure about finches. They kind of sound reved up. This is a time of rest for a canary. Maybe a plain canary seed. Start from scratch. The herb rosemary I heard is supposed to be calming...

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:21 am

Clairecanary15 - thank you

They were much more agitated today.
They definitely r revved up about everything.

I'm sadly considering that I have to rehome them.
I definitely can't move one in with the young moulting gouldians. I don't trust either canary in their current hostile state.
I agrree they can't be trusted with the society not just with each other.
But I just haven't any space left in my apartment for more cages, not even small ones, which they would hate.

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:52 pm

today I gave them plants and tassels and mirrors. Not as bad but sadly not a solution to the ongoing hostility. Will be adding some more tomorrow but don't think it will solve their excessive hostility both towards each other and also the society. The all yellow doesn't even want the society male to sing.
Attachments
20181017_163650.jpg
20181017_165944.jpg

Susannah
Pip
Pip

Post by Susannah » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:46 pm

Hope all is going well with your birds.
Birds are a miracle because they prove to us there is a finer, simpler state of being which we may strive to attain. Douglas Coupland

4 dogs
3 cats
4 Rosellas
9 Guinea Pigs
7 Rabbits
7 Zebra Finches
2 Bourkes
9 Quails
1 Fischer's Lovebird
1 African Lovebird
1 Green Cheek Conure
3 Indian Ringnecks