Finch maybe giving birth

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Serena Lake
Pip
Pip

Finch maybe giving birth

Post by Serena Lake » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:47 pm

Hello everyone,

I have only had my finches for a week now. I was feeding my finches tonight, when I saw small drops of blood on the newspaper. I then saw that most of the finches were huddle inside one of open nest. All the society finches where cuddle next to each in the open nest. For the week I have had them, the society and the other finches at bedtime will cuddle in the same nest. I was thinking it is possibly for one of the society finches to be pregnant and ready to give birth, or one of them is dying. If you could help me out, that would be great.

Thank You.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Finch maybe giving birth

Post by wildbird » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:43 am

Birds do not give birth, they lay eggs and then the eggs hatch. What other type of finches are in with the Societies? It is possible that one of the birds broke a toe nail or was picked on by another finch, like a Zebra. It could even be a broken blood feather. As long as there is no more blood being lost (no fresh blood), it will probably clot and heal by itself. Birds can get injured by sharp edges on cage wire and get toenails caught in narrow areas of the cage wire where it comes together. They can be injured if something scars them too. Make sure there are no cats or rodents or other predators that could get near them.