Strawberry finches

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
BB
Mature
Mature

Strawberry finches

Post by BB » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:47 am

Closed-up images for those interested. Also, beautiful songs.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNXEOg ... subscriber

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Strawberry finches

Post by isobea » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:46 am

BB - Hi, yes, they are wonderful little birds and I do love their song, too! Are you breeding them? I kept them a few years ago. They used to build the most beautiful free-standing nests, laid eggs incubated flawlessly, but would toss a baby or two if they ran out of mini mealworms. I had to replenish those three to four times a day. My strawberries unfortunately ignored egg food.
Iso

BB
Mature
Mature

Post by BB » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:15 am

Hi Isobea: Congratulations on your past success at raising strawberries. In my opinion, they are among the most difficult to breed. I didn't get much out of them, so I gave up breeding and only keep them for the joy of watching and listening.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:58 pm

BB - I fully understand. They were frustrating at times. So I kept two of my young males for a few months trying to make up my mind what to do next. Then a friend who has several large aviaries needed two males for his breeding program and I let them go. Not sure how many more will be imported in the future so if he has success breeding them, all the better.
Last year I got two pairs of European goldfinches (which I used to breed years ago). Hopefully they will produce some offspring for me once it gets warmer.
Iso