Gouldian Dilemma

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Roc
Pip
Pip

Gouldian Dilemma

Post by Roc » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:39 pm

Happy Friday everyone!

I'm very new to Gouldians so I need your advice on a situation I have on my hands w/my new feathered friends. About a month ago, I bought (2) males & (2) female Gouldians and (1) male Canary (not sure of their ages) which are all housed together in 60" wide flight cage along w/a few nests in there as well.

Lately I've noticed that one of the males (RH/GB) and one of the females (YB) have been hanging around each other and interested in the nests so I thought they paired up. The female's beak isn't charcoal colored so I didn't think she was in breeding condition yet.

Last week or so I happen to witness the other male (RH/YB) mount the female on the perch (very awkward) but it happened so fast I thought they couldn't be doing what I think they're doing, there supposed to do that inside the nest box... [-X Fast forward to yesterday, I discovered 2 little eggs in one of the nests. Today, there is now a 3rd egg. I've seen all (3) of the birds in & out of the nest sitting on the eggs.

My question is, what do I do now? Should I move the nest w/eggs along with the pair into their own private cage? IF so, which male is the father???

HELP! #-o
Thanks!

Roc

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Gouldian Dilemma

Post by paul-inAZ » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:36 pm

Why not leave them be if you don't mind the prospect of babies? There are many people who colony breed Gouldians with no troubles.
You can never be sure of the parentage when colony breeding -if tracking genetics matters to you.
If she is young these eggs could be infertile but mom will probably sit on them anyway. You will know in a couple of weeks.

Roc
Pip
Pip

Post by Roc » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:41 pm

Thanks Paul, I would prefer to leave them be if possible and let whatever is going to happen - happen. I don't care about genetics or anything like that, just healthy little babies IF eggs are fertile. If not, it wasn't meant to be.
Thanks!

Roc

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Roc: If you are contemplating any further breeding there are a couple of things to think about.
Colony breeding in a very small colony can lead to a high probability of incestuous pairings. The birds don't care but this is not the way to get sturdy babies. A separate breeding cage for selected unrelated mates is preferred.

Once these chicks color out you will have no way of knowing who is who. A simple solution is to get some multi colored split plastic leg bands. Cheap and easy to apply. You won't know for sure who the parents of this clutch are but can identify brothers and sisters at a glance.
A single color band for any of these chicks solves that. For eg: a white band on the right leg will mark these sibs. A different color/ other leg can mark chicks from other pairings.

good luck.

sskmaestro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by sskmaestro » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:27 pm

did you get any babies ?

Roc
Pip
Pip

Post by Roc » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:39 am

Well, she ended up laying 5 eggs but only 1 was fertile. I have 1 hatchling now that was born on 4/12 - everything's going good so far :D

Thanks for asking!
Thanks!

Roc

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:45 pm

Good for you.
If she/they are beginners some duds with one fertile egg is not unheard of.
On the next attempt they will get it right and you should get fertile eggs and 4-6 chicks.