Is my zebra finch British or Australian?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
OliwiaMoriarti
Hatchling
Hatchling

Is my zebra finch British or Australian?

Post by OliwiaMoriarti » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:26 am

The moment I got my female zebra, Kim, she seemed to be quite large. My male, Mouschi, is around 6 months older than her, and yet he's much lighter than she is. I'd say he's probably half her weight.
Is it possible that Kim is a British/german zebra finch and Mouschi an Australian zebra finch?
It'd be great to get a second opinion.

(Kimmy is on the left, Mouschi is on the right.)
Attachments
DSC_1421.JPG
I have two zebra finches; Mouschi, and his girlfriend, Kim.

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: Is my zebra finch British or Australian?

Post by CathyCraftz » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:42 am

Zebra Finches all originated from Australia, but there are wild ones in other parts of the world and have adapted to it. Also, where did you get the Finches?
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

OliwiaMoriarti
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by OliwiaMoriarti » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:27 am

CathyCraftz wrote: Zebra Finches all originated from Australia, but there are wild ones in other parts of the world and have adapted to it. Also, where did you get the Finches?
I bought them both from different pet stores in Iceland. I decided to shop in the second one for my female, because the other one seemed to not have very well trained staff, and I didn't want to get a sick bird like I did there once before. I was told that many of the finches here are imported from Germany, which would make sense for my female. But Mouschi seems a bit too small to be this zebra finch variety.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:24 pm

OliwiaMoriarti I had a few british zebra finches off a well known breeder and they are usually a lot larger also another thing is that it looks like they are frowning as the eyes look like they are more sunken into the head because of how big the head is (if that makes sense )
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:26 pm

Like him on the right
Attachments
67686E95-71AC-4BD0-8A3F-FA9DE6F3504A.jpeg
67686E95-71AC-4BD0-8A3F-FA9DE6F3504A.jpeg (47.39 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

OliwiaMoriarti
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by OliwiaMoriarti » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Fraza wrote: Like him on the right
`
Those are some very grumpy looking birds! Thank you so much for those pictures. Kim doesn't share that characteristic facial structure, so maybe she's just a bit fat??? She could also just be a bit bigger for some other reason, but idk. Thank you for the info <3

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:23 pm

OliwiaMoriarti your welcome and ano they look grumpy and they was grumpy to lol

But I’m no expert I’m just going off those few pairs I had I mmm not hundred percent sure if yours isn’t
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:45 pm

OliwiaMoriarti

Maybe haroun could help.

I wonder if she's just one of those birds that holds her feathers out a bit more. I've had a few societies, and one of the larger-looking ones weighed 13 grams, while my smallest-looking male weighed almost 17. My fluffier male has always been active and healthy, so it seems it's just individual variation that makes him hold his feathers further out. The heavier male I had before held his feathers slick to his side, so even though he weighed more, he didn't look like it. As long as she isn't fluffy because she's ill, very cold, or underweight, it's fine.
Laser; you can see how he holds his feathers so close to his body you can see the shape of his keel
Laser; you can see how he holds his feathers so close to his body you can see the shape of his keel
Tacocat, my fluffy boi<br />He's singing, so a bit fluffier than usual
Tacocat, my fluffy boi
He's singing, so a bit fluffier than usual
The feathers obscure the form of the bird, so you probably won't be able to tell they're fat just by looking. If you are concerned about fat, you could part the feathers over their keel and look at muscle and fat distribution. Fat usually collects on the crop and abdominal region and looks yellowish, and the muscles either side of the keel bone should be about even with the keel.
You can tell if a bird is the right weight by looking at the shape of the keel/breast muscles. The bird shouldn't have a ton of fat on it, but its keel bone shouldn't be "sharp" or super obvious, either. Aim for a body condition score of three:
You should be able to see the keel bone, but the muscle either side of it should be about even with the top of the bone. This is what's normal for my societies, although zebs might have a slightly different conformation:
WIN_20190314_11_37_42_Pro.jpg
And here's an image of a fat gouldian:

OliwiaMoriarti
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by OliwiaMoriarti » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:15 pm

Icearstorm wrote: OliwiaMoriarti

Maybe haroun could help.

I wonder if she's just one of those birds that holds her feathers out a bit more. I've had a few societies, and one of the larger-looking ones weighed 13 grams, while my smallest-looking male weighed almost 17. My fluffier male has always been active and healthy, so it seems it's just individual variation that makes him hold his feathers further out. The heavier male I had before held his feathers slick to his side, so even though he weighed more, he didn't look like it. As long as she isn't fluffy because she's ill, very cold, or underweight, it's fine.
Laser.jpg
tacocat_singing_by_icearstorm_dckuag1-pre.jpg
The feathers obscure the form of the bird, so you probably won't be able to tell they're fat just by looking. If you are concerned about fat, you could part the feathers over their keel and look at muscle and fat distribution. Fat usually collects on the crop and abdominal region and looks yellowish, and the muscles either side of the keel bone should be about even with the keel.
You can tell if a bird is the right weight by looking at the shape of the keel/breast muscles. The bird shouldn't have a ton of fat on it, but its keel bone shouldn't be "sharp" or super obvious, either. Aim for a body condition score of three:
[ https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c1/a6/2c/c1a62cbd97e51ed4c672eb266c415cb9.jpg ]
You should be able to see the keel bone, but the muscle either side of it should be about even with the top of the bone. This is what's normal for my societies, although zebs might have a slightly different conformation:
WIN_20190314_11_37_42_Pro.jpg
And here's an image of a fat gouldian:
[ https://ladygouldian.com/files/fat%20bird.jpg ]
Wow, this is some really good advice. The Body Condition Score sheet is especially helpful, wish I have seen it before. I have already learned about the whole keel bone situation from my grandpa, who used to keep a lot of birds. I would say Kim was actually around a 5 when I got her, because of the way she was being fed in her previous home. She has lost some excess weight since then though, and she is currently a strong 3, maybe leaning towards a 4. She's still almost twice the weight as Mouschi, I'd say. Although, Mouschi does like to keep his feathers nice and fluffed, just like your boy, Tacocat (amazing name btw), so he looks the same size as her, to someone who doesn't watch them for 7 hours of their day.