Question re:size of food

Learn what to feed your birds.
Stickgal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Question re:size of food

Post by Stickgal » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:46 pm

I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find an answer. I need to know how small to cut fruits and veggies. Do you blend them? Or do you dice them? For example, with apples, are they peeled and chopped tiny or can the birds just grab bits off a larger piece? I don't have my finches yet, so this is pre-owner research. I'm picking up my aviary this week, so still a while away from getting the babies.
I'm very happy being me, although sometimes I'd love to be a bird so that I could fly. Joy Fielding

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Question re:size of food

Post by Fraza » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:32 am

Stickgal I just slice and dice them it depends on what you prefer or find easier

Just make sure that salad and lettuce is made really small so they don’t put it in nests as it can ruin the eggs
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Stickgal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Stickgal » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:47 am

Oh ok. I'm probably getting all males. Not sure yet. Not planning to breed so don't want to risk females' health with egg binding unnecessarily.
I'm very happy being me, although sometimes I'd love to be a bird so that I could fly. Joy Fielding

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:04 pm

Stickgal yeah that is good then it should be a lot easier you could just add it however you want then to be honest and males can still nest without females
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Stickgal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Stickgal » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:09 pm

Oh, didn't know. So I should put nesting boxes in for them?

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:25 pm

Stickgal I think you should they enjoy buildings nests together and with all males they can make some really fascinating ones
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Stickgal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Stickgal » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:52 pm

Great! Will do. Thanks a bunch

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:11 pm

Stickgal no problem
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:04 am

Veggies are blended, fruits tend to be diced,

It seems that yer new to keeping birds, to be honest I really wouldn't even consider about breeding babies yet, I'd learn how to keep birds first way before I'd think of wanting to breed anything,

There's a lot to properly understanding how to keep birds and yer need to understand the basics first, IE housing, feeding, general maintenance aswell as knowing the common ailments of yer birds,

Much can be learnt from various members of the forum aswell as Facebook groups etc,

Be lucky

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:20 am

Fraza wrote: Stickgal yeah that is good then it should be a lot easier you could just add it however you want then to be honest and males can still nest without females
One thing needs to be fully understood here Fraza, I've discussed this with yer about 2 years ago,

Yes cock finches will make nests and will quite happily stay in em even with other of the same species,

However it is completely wrong to say this is ok with just stating cock / male finches, this can be very misleading for all newbies / beginners,

The only cock finches that are really safe enough to be able to keep together and let them build nests together are Bengalese / society finches, these finches are most likely to be the most domesticated and easily kept finches of all world wide finches,

You simply cannot be expected to keep all other cock finches together and expect them to live happily together, this will not happen, in many cases cocks together can possibly kill one another and especially towards the breeding season, even zebra finches will often fight like hell as these are the worlds worst for it,

If yer going to state about keeping cock finches together and provide nest / roosting baskets and boxes yer need to be more specific and state that Bengalese / society finches are really the only birds that are safe enough and ideally suitable for this way of keeping em,

Am not bickering or picking holes mate but yer need to be a little more specific otherwise beginners could possibly face big problems when putting cock finches together

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:52 am

Stuart whiting yeah I get what you mean about the nests I should have been more specific but if your buying only males species that will fight anyway, they will fight with or without the nest won’t they ?

And I’ve only ever kept zebras, bengalease and silverbill males together so I’ll leave you to this topic
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL