Sprouting Seed

Learn what to feed your birds.
Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Sprouting Seed

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:44 am

Finally tried sprouting some seed a couple months ago. After reading about the potential health risks of sprouting, I was surprised how easy and mold-free the process was.

1. Got the container. Cut the top off a water jug, and used an ice pick to poke holes in the lid and top.
WIN_20190618_18_23_03_Pro.jpg
2. Washed out seed in top section, and then moved it to partly-filled bottom section for a few hours of soaking. (Pretend this is canary grass, not flaxseed. Turns out flax doesn't work well for sprouting.)
WIN_20190618_18_28_46_Pro.jpg
3. Move seed to top section, then rinse vigorously. Sit top section over bottom section for draining. Rinse a couple times a day until sprouted.
WIN_20190618_18_12_13_Pro.jpg
4. Sprouted seed. It should be mold-free and smell fresh. I store the sprouts in the freezer.
WIN_20190618_18_12_28_Pro.jpg
The first batch I tried sprouting lentils, buckwheat, and canarygrass, but the canarygrass wouldn't sprout. The next time I tried flaxseed, but it didn't work at all because it turns into gelatinous goop and won't drain properly. This time I'm trying split peas and millet, and they seem to be sprouting.

Since I've started offering sprouts, I've noticed the birds have been eating a lot more vegetables as well. They would eat a variety before, but wouldn't eat nearly the volume as they do now. At first, they wouldn't even finish the amount pictured below, but since adding sprouts, they've been eating almost a full dish of it each day.
WIN_20190509_15_43_56_Pro.jpg

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Sprouting Seed

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:34 pm

Good on yer mate but to be honest if yer worried about the mould side of it which can happen quite easily when yer sprouting I'd personally just soak the seed, it's a lot easier and quicker,

I've already covered this back on one of yer posts back in 2017, " white streaked feather "

Soaking is just for 24 hrs in the fridge, drain off access water, quick rinse under the tap in the seive and then give straight to the birds, it won't go off because it's been soaked in the fridge,

When given to the birds it won't go off eaither as its usually eaten quite quickly by giving the right amount to the birds,

Sprouting is ok and is certainly nothing wrong with it but these days I find it hardly worth the effort in continuesly rinsing for the extra few days to keep it fresh whilst sprouting,

If I wanted a bit of green food to supply to me birds I tend to just use brocholi but with this I now always just use the brocholi heads, this can then easily be served in std egg food dishes or similar,

If the sprouting of the seed is ok and working for you then that is good but just be very carefull of it turning sour quickly and yer must regularly keep rinsing with fresh water,

Be lucky :thumbup:

LokoChoko
Pip
Pip

Post by LokoChoko » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:51 pm

this is a great way of sprouting, last time I tried the seeds got moldy but I cut a bottle and tried it this way it's worked great =D> :D

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:04 pm

Stuart whiting

Wow, it took me that long before I tried to do anything new with the seed? I know it can take me a while to get around to things... I suppose I also said I wanted to get Euro society finches back in 2017, and that didn't exactly happen then, either :/

I've heard that sprouted seed has more folic acid and other vitamins than unsprouted seed, although they have been eating other greens so sprouting it might not be super useful overall. It hasn't been too difficult, though, so I don't mind it. The last batch of millet and peas turned out well, and although they don't seem to like it quite as much as the lentils and buckwheat, they still eat a good amount. I put all the softfood in the same dish each morning, and they ignore it after a few hours, so I'm not super worried about the food spoiling after I've given it to them.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:04 pm

LokoChoko

Glad it worked!