Moving zebras to a zoo aviary ?

Updates, stories, and other finch related topics.
micmic
Pip
Pip

Moving zebras to a zoo aviary ?

Post by micmic » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:43 am

There's a chance that a local zoo would accept a relative's 4 zebra finches (after being checked by their vet, of course).

Right now they are all in a 70x40cm cage - 2 males and 2 females. I've been wondering whether they'll be better off in the aviary. We're talking about a big aviary, 50m x 20m x 10m, with about 10 species of birds from Southeastern Asia and Oceania in there. The only other finches in the aviary are some Java finches. There are also some ducks, doves etc.

Now, while they will obviously always have food and water there, I don't know whether they will adjust well. After all, they have all been born and bred in a 70cm cage and that's all they have known for all their short (1-2 years) lives. In such a big aviary they obviously won't have the detailed vet care they have with us. On the other hand, they will have so much space that it will be almost like living free. And they will be able to breed freely.

Our only concern is the well-being of the zebras, so we'd be happy to keep them or give them to the zoo if they'll have them. What do you think ?

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Moving zebras to a zoo aviary ?

Post by Fraza » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:39 am

micmic to be honest I would let mine go to a zoo because I think it’s judt a nice thought of people being able to see them everyday and having so much space

zebras get used to their new environment fairly quickly so I wouldn’t be to worried they will most likely follow the other birds around to find food and water and nest within the first week or 2
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

micmic
Pip
Pip

Post by micmic » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:00 pm

Thanks Fraza, I'll tell them to give the zebras to the zoo then. And after that we'll be visiting them. :)

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:08 pm

micmic yeah they should be ok and your welcomes
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3