Can female societies "sing"?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Can female societies "sing"?

Post by Red_Rose » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:15 am

There is a society at the pet store that I spotted that was singing but the song wasn't as clear as a male and the bird didn't do the puffy dance.

Is this bird actually a female? I always thought that females couldn't sing. I have a small audio clip of the singing but I don't know how to add it to this post.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Can female societies "sing"?

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:15 pm

Red_Rose

It could be a young male learning to sing. I have also had males before that only really moved around and danced when they were courting another bird. Here's an example of a young male's subsong: Society Finch Subsong

Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Red_Rose » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Icearstorm Wow! The male in the clip sounds a lot like the one at the store. Is it normal for young males to sound somewhat like a cricket when they are just doing their usual chirps? The little one at the pet store sounded like a cricket when he/she wasn't singing.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:04 pm

Red_Rose

Yes, young males can sound more like females; since he's starting to sing, he should be getting his adult voice soon. Singing female society finches are quite rare, but do exist.

Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Red_Rose » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:57 am

Icearstorm

Thank you. I went back and took a small video of his singing. I have part of the case covering the lens because they don't like people taking pictures because it could scare the animals. You may have to turn up the volume to hear his song.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Red_Rose

Female Societies do not sing, they chirp.

Society Finch males , learn their songs from their fathers. Each bird is an individual and has a slightly different song, passing their song down to their babies.

I've had Society boys over the years who have had totally different songs from other males.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Red_Rose » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:40 am

lovezebs

Thank you, Elena. :) That would explain why the other two birds that were with him only chirped when I played a recording of a male singing. He was the only one who actually sang.

Since I posted the video, I had caved and bought him. His song is coming along nicely and I've seen the puffy dance.