Air Sac Mites

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Air Sac Mites

Post by mickp » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:08 am

Air Sac Mites

Who it effects: Mainly found in finches, the Gouldian seems to be the bird that the symptoms are found in most often. Canaries would be the second most afflicted bird.

What to look out for(Symptoms): Coughing, wheezing, gasping for air, loss of condition, respiratory distress, open mouth breathing, clicking sound

How to diagnose: for the bird keeper this is done at first by knowing your birds and how they usually act

Treatment:
Ivermectin
Ivomec (Europe)
Scatt - used for individual birds or very small groups
S76 - for use in large aviaries or when you have a lot of birds to treat
Iverlux
Moxidectin Plus (Australia)

Where to Obtain product to treat with:
Vetafarm
Birds r us
Avian Vets
Morning Bird Company
Bird Care Company

What else can be done after treatment to help your bird recover: try to keep the bird from getting to much exercise for a few days after treating it. the less strenuous activity the easier the bird will breath.

Preventative Treatment:Most products recommend that the birds be treated every 3-4 months. If this program is followed, you will probably never have a problem with air sac mites.

due to this forum having so many members from different countries. please let us know what treatments are available where you live.
Last edited by mickp on Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:23 pm

Mick, I added Morning Bird and Bird Care to the list of providers, as those are easily available in the U.S. I also added a thing at the bottom about preventative treatment, as I think if people would follow a good program, they shouldn't have problems. If these additions aren't OK with you, just edit them out.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:41 pm

Sally I am glad that you have added the information. it is hard for a person living in one country to write an article that is relevant to all members. so any information you feel is relevant add it :D
will probably add more to it myself over time

AussieFinchForum

akidsgal
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by akidsgal » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks everyone for keeping updates going for newer Finch keepers. It is always such a pleasure to see that even the old stuff gets posted for refreshers for people like me who have a HORRIBLE memory. I love the people here and the constant help. Thanks everyone!

Thanks mick for the post. It is most helpful for people looking to find otu why their Finch may be acting funny.
Goulds, Stars, Societies,Owls, Gold Breasts, OC Waxbills, 3 Canaries, 1 Rott, 1 Lab/Shepard, 1 Lab/ Setter AND 1 single 13 yr old to whom is the light of my life! We have 2 Lop bunnies too!

Carol

ahoang25
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Canary and Finch's Health Issues - Please help

Post by ahoang25 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:31 pm

HI,

I am fairly new to bird keeping. My aviary (2.5" wide X 4' H X 6' L) consists of 7 canaries (2 are 2 months old ) and 6 gouldian finches.

I recently noticed that 2 of my adult canaries are having a hard time breathing. I think it is air sac mites. I brought ORNACYCLINE from Petsmart and started to treat all the birds with it since Sunday. The 2 canaries are not getting better after 4 days have passed. They seem to be lazy and breathing heavily.

I search all over Petco and Petsmart for SCATT or S76 but they dont carry it. What can I do in the meantime? Should I order the medicine online right away and hope for the best?

Thanks advance for all your advice!

Anthony

DVBourassa
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Re: Air Sac Mites

Post by DVBourassa » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:12 pm

Where are you located?
-Dianna

ahoang25
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ahoang25 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:40 pm

Seattle, WA

ahoang25
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ahoang25 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:47 pm

Dianna, where did you get the large cage? I am looking to find places the sell materials to build a large cage like yours.

Anthony

DVBourassa
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by DVBourassa » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:58 pm

I don't see a Morning Bird product distributor in your area. You might be able to get a distributor close to you (Oregon, California, etc.) to ship express.
http://www.morningbirdproducts.com/distributors.html

I bought 4 30x18x36 inch cages on ebay from ssupplies. She isn't selling any at the moment but you can also find these same cages online.
http://store.countryfeathers.net/2484.html
I'm assuming this store is selling each case (2 cages) for $112 which is about the same price as ssupplies.
My husband and I built the platform, disassembled the cages, and reassembled them into one large cage with cable ties.
-Dianna

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:48 pm

When you get your supplies to treat air sac mites, whether it is Iverlux, S76, or SCATT, you need to treat all the birds, as canaries and Gouldians are the two species most likely to suffer from air sac mites. Then put them on a regular preventative program--usually treating every 3-4 months.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

ahoang25
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ahoang25 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:38 am

I ordered the supplies from the ladygouldian finch last week. Got my medicines and foods on Monday, July 20. Apparently, what I really wanted most was the S76, BUT the package did not include the medicine.

I was so disappointed. I called them a few times and left 2 messages. No return calls. Finally, I emailed them and Joanne replied and told me that she personally packed my order, but forgot to put the S76. She told me that she will send it out, but it's been 4 days already.

I dont know what to do. They dont pick up the phone or return my calls.

Am I dealing with a company that is not truthful and honest?

Anthony

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:45 am

I can't explain why your haveing trouble reaching them but they are a very good company to get supplies from and very helpful with illness info :)
Bill

Finch Fry
Expecting
Expecting

Post by Finch Fry » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:48 am

They recently underwent a split in the company. The 3 sisters started LGF and then some moved to California and others remained in Georgia about a month or 2 ago. The LGF site is owned and operated by the california based company now. Sometimes emails are sent to the Georgia team or vice versa and things don't get answered. I would be VERY surprised if you did not get your stuff from the California team if they said they are shipping it.

If you dont get your stuff, go to http://www.ladygouldian.com. (the new site that is being built for the Georgia based team) and email directly Laraine, she is incredible about responding, usually same day. She has her personal phone number and address. You can call her and heck, she can hassle her sister to send you the stuff if you dont get it. LOL
Goulds, Owls, Gold Breasts, Stars, Zebras, Societies
An obscene number of chicks and eggs
And an incredibly rare St. Goldena Breast finch
Anyone want some finches???
-Chris 8-[

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:03 am

here is a link to an article on 'Moxidectin' it is used in Australia to treat worms & air sac mites. there is a new version of it avialable now that treats for tape worm as well as all other worms, called ' Moxidectin Plus'.

here's the link, may be worth a mention to a vet or a supplier of any of the other treatments.

http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/Articles/ ... eview.html

AussieFinchForum

maru
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by maru » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:14 am

I hope by now you have your medicine; anyway I´ve only had one experience and it is with friskyfinches.com, Gary always answers me immediately and he sent me what I asked for immediately, too. I suppose they have the medicine for air sac mites.
5 lady gouldians