Gouldian Genetics

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
GOULDYGIRL
Weaning
Weaning

Post by GOULDYGIRL » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:10 pm

Yes, Thanks Liz. I had no idea!!! :D

Renee
Renee
Beautiful Gouldians!

newlinta
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by newlinta » Sun May 24, 2009 11:15 am

This may have been asked before, but...
Can a visually normal cock have both blue and(or) yellow genes to give the possibility of blue chicks when crossed with a blue hen?
Tim

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Sun May 24, 2009 3:11 pm

newlinta wrote:This may have been asked before, but...
Can a visually normal cock have both blue and(or) yellow genes to give the possibility of blue chicks when crossed with a blue hen?
Tim
A visual normal cock can carry a copy of the blue mutation and not visually show this, but he can't carry a copy of the yellow mutation without expressing it - either as a Dilute PB or a visually yellow WB bird.

So pairing your cock to a blue hen, if you produce blue babies, you know your cock is Normal/Blue.

newlinta
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by newlinta » Sun May 24, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanks Tiffany...I thought it was possible but wasn't %100 sure.
If he isn't split for blue, would that pairing just throw normal babies?
Tim

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Gouldian Genetics

Post by Pukasand » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:10 pm

This is probably a stupid question, but I don't have an LGs yet, but planning on getting a pair soon. IS THERE ANY WAY TO PHYSICALLY TELL IF A BIRD IS SPLIT TO BLUE? I'd like to get an OH/WB/NB split to blue; and RH/PB/YB split to blue.
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:28 pm

Pukasand wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but I don't have an LGs yet, but planning on getting a pair soon. IS THERE ANY WAY TO PHYSICALLY TELL IF A BIRD IS SPLIT TO BLUE? I'd like to get an OH/WB/NB split to blue; and RH/PB/YB split to blue.
No stupid Q's here - how will you learn if you don't ask. There's no reliable way to visually tell a 'split to blue' Gouldian from a normal (unsplit) one other than by breeding it to a blue, pastel or silver (or even another 'split to blue'). But breeding doesn't guarantee that you will get a blue, pastel or silver even if it is 'split to blue'. You may get more 'split to blues'.

Knowing an honest breeder helps. =D>
Liz

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:19 pm

Thanks, Liz. :)
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:45 pm

Liz,
Somtimes you can just get lucky too. I had a BH PB GB female for a couple of years and I bought a RH PB GB male on sale for $65 at a bird fair from a fellow that was going back to college and selling his small bird business. It was a beautiful male and I needed some unrelated blood so I brought him home. I paired him with the female that I had and have gotten 4 blues from them this summer. I had no idea they were both /blue. I wonder if the breeders even knew? I was just trying for a different bloodline for my normals :D

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:43 pm

What is the cost ladder of LGs in respect to coloration? I realize that the normals are the lowest and, I think, the silvers may be the highest. I would like to get a pair and both be /blue. I've decided on OH/WB/GB - /B and a RH/LB/YB - /B. Are these difficult colors to find to buy? I have a friend that has blues and if we are both lucky, they would like to swap chicks. I told them that if we swap a yellow and a blue, we may end up with a 'back to normal' again. Is this correct? This genetics stuff has my head spinning. :shock: #-o I admire all ya'll that can keep it straight. =D>
Last edited by Pukasand on Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JUDY

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:44 pm

Wow - how lucky can you get, hmmm? =D> Now you still have to go out and get fresh bloodlines for your normals! :mrgreen:
Liz

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:55 pm

Pukasand wrote:What is the cost ladder of LGs in respect to coloration? I realize that the normals are the lowest and, I think, the silvers may be the highest. I would like to get a pair and both be /blue. I've decided on OH/WB/GB - /B and a RH/PB/YB - /B. Are these difficult colors to find to buy? I have a friend that has blues and if we are both lucky, they would like to swap chicks. I told them that if we swap a yellow and a blue, we may end up with a 'back to normal' again. Is this correct? This genetics stuff has my head spinning. :shock: #-o I admire all ya'll that can keep it straight. =D>
I guess it really depends on where you buy them. I think the average up here for normals is anywhere from $50-$85 each.
If they are split to blue, it seems like the average is about $90-$110 each.

I have had a very hard time finding OH birds that are nice. Likewise - most of the ones I find, the individuals do not keep track of lineage and usually the birds are not close banded, so I have no way of knowing their true age or whether they are even split for anything.

I'm not sure what you mean by the back to normal again :)
Most mutations have the possibility of producing normals - with the only real exception being DF Yellow males (either plain DF Yellow, or DF Yellow Blue [Silver] Males).

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:00 pm

Thanks, Tiff, those prices are about what I expected. I didn't want to search out the coloration/mutation I wanted and then find out they are $200-$300 per bird. Now I'm on the hunt for them. :mrgreen:
JUDY

newlinta
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by newlinta » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:19 pm

OK...another question about body color and breeding...
I know you shouldn't breed 2 visually blue(blue,pastel,silver) birds together.
Does the same hold true for yellow birds?
Is it ok to mate 2 yellows together to get Yellows(DF), or should you always use a dilute,pastel or silver male with a yellow hen for this?
Thoughts?
Tim

Looking for silver, fawn, opal isabel, normal/split javas
and fawn, creamino, normal/split shaft tails
in central PA

3 dogs, lots of poison dart frogs

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:06 pm

I have paired yellows and WB together with no apparent problems. :)

sur
Pip
Pip

Post by sur » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:04 am

Hi Everyone,
I just bought 2 pairs of gouldian finches
Male is black head, blue back and white chest while female is red head,yellow back and purple chest
while other pair is,
Red head,yellow back and white chest while female is black head,greenback and purple chest.
I want to know what color of babies they will produce and I checked the website, but it is confusing, please help me to understand how can i make silver color gouldian finch.