Ordering quail question

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Ordering quail question

Post by MisterGribs » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:13 am

I would love to have quail, but have never ordered a live animal before. How does it work?? How does the vendor ship the eggs or chicks, and do I need some kind of paperwork to receive them? Do they just go to my post office?

Honestly speaking, is the process cruel or inhumane in any way? I guess my biggest fear is needlessly traumatizing an infant for the sake of convenience, and worse still, somehow being unable to recieve them due to unforseen requirements.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Ordering quail question

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:28 am

I'm not sure how it works where you are, but in the U.S. 1 day old chickens are routinely shipped through the Post Office. That has been going on for decades, and works well. Pigeons (adult) are also sent that way. I'd guess quail could be sent the same way.

Pigeons and chickens are classified as 'poultry' and it is legal to ship them through the Post Office. It is NOT legal to ship Finches through the Post Office.

Here, a box of birds sent via the airlines costs on the order of $150, but they're shipped and arrive (usually) the same day. Safer.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Dave wrote: I'm not sure how it works where you are, but in the U.S. 1 day old chickens are routinely shipped through the Post Office. That has been going on for decades, and works well. Pigeons (adult) are also sent that way. I'd guess quail could be sent the same way.

Pigeons and chickens are classified as 'poultry' and it is legal to ship them through the Post Office. It is NOT legal to ship Finches through the Post Office.

Here, a box of birds sent via the airlines costs on the order of $150, but they're shipped and arrive (usually) the same day. Safer.

So basically I would just contact the vendor, pay, and wait for the note from the post office?
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:15 pm

Whoever you're buying them from arranges the shipping and gives you the details.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:42 am

Dave wrote: Whoever you're buying them from arranges the shipping and gives you the details.
Thanks, Dave, that definitely simplifies things on my end.